Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

? on brake rotors

99 TA has 100K miles my rear brake pads are allmost worn out front are halfway worn.

?1.anyone have a image of the wear indicater?

?2.should I replace the rotors or with this much mileage can they be turned?

Thanks

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

I don't have a pic of the wear indicator but I can tell you that whether you need to replace rotors or not depends on how much wear is on the rotor. Most shops have (if they don't I would certainly not leave my baby with them) a tool that will gauge the thickness of the rotor which they will cross reference with a manual to find the "acceptable" wear of the rotor. If the current thickness minus what will come off when they turn it falls below that threshold, they will tell you to replace it.

Personally, and this is just what I would do, after 100k miles, if the rotors have never been replaced, then I would replace them. But that's personal preference rather than hard and fast guideline.

Also, are your rotors stock or are they larger/crossdrilled/slotted/all-of-the-above? For crossdrilled and/or slotted you may have a harder time finding shops that *will* turn them, which is why it's even more important to keep up with your brakes if you do have them. Most shops won't touch them but there are the occasional ones that will and as long as they're good, you should come out ok.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Archaelas View Post
    I don't have a pic of the wear indicator but I can tell you that whether you need to replace rotors or not depends on how much wear is on the rotor. Most shops have (if they don't I would certainly not leave my baby with them) a tool that will gauge the thickness of the rotor which they will cross reference with a manual to find the "acceptable" wear of the rotor. If the current thickness minus what will come off when they turn it falls below that threshold, they will tell you to replace it.
    And they don't even have to take your wheels off the car to do this...they can do it in the parking lot

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

Yep, any of your local brake shops should be able to do this in minutes. (I'd say seconds but we all now how fast some shops can work... )

98 Formula
    06 duramax

@100k change them.....they're gonna be due. If you're doing pads you might as well throw the rotors on there and be done with it for another 10 years. Rotors today are throw away rotors for the most part. You can turn them but new rotors are cheap so why not just buy new ones?

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    @100k change them.....they're gonna be due. If you're doing pads you might as well throw the rotors on there and be done with it for another 10 years. Rotors today are throw away rotors for the most part. You can turn them but new rotors are cheap so why not just buy new ones?
    I agree. I hate the hassle of running back and forth to the machine shop and having the car down for a day or two, I'd rather just have all new parts and get it done in one shot.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

brakes

I am not hard on the brakes meaning I don't slam them much.

Looks like I'll get new rotors how doe's this deal look

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000297

I'm confussed on the rears wearing out way before the front since the front are what 60-70% of braking.

can I use a turkey bastor to remove the 10 year old fluid in the resovre.

Thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check out ebay and look for slotted/drilled rotors from a company called R1concepts. I run their stuff on a couple cars and have 3 buddies that run them and all with zero problems. Fronts and backs for <$200 shipped. Can't beat that. Also, call them and they'll cut you a break on shipping.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

e bay

just found one I'll check them out

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/?_...rs&_osacat=__0

Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 06-02-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Thread Information