Thread: Brake Pad Help

Brake Pad Help

Hey guys, I've recently been having a squeaking noise coming from my passenger rear wheel area... I had my friend drive my car slowly down the street with me walking beside it so I could figure out where it was coming from and so far as i can tell it seems to be coming from the rear passnger wheel area...

my friend thinks i need to replace my pads. The previous owner of the car changed the rotors to slotted which is the reason my friend thinks i should change my pads to get rid of the noise.. but the previous owner never told me if he changed the calipers.. i took the wheel off today and on the rear passenger caliper it said PBR made in Australia..

I have 2 questions... first, is it possible that this noise is coming from the brakes. and second.. if i were to get new pads.. would I have to order some special ones or will any regular ones work??

Thanks guys.

Cheers.

EDIT: The squeaking noise is not the same type of noise heard from SQUEALING worn brakes... just wanted to clarify.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by iggz View Post
    Hey guys, I've recently been having a squeaking noise coming from my passenger rear wheel area... I had my friend drive my car slowly down the street with me walking beside it so I could figure out where it was coming from and so far as i can tell it seems to be coming from the rear passnger wheel area...

my friend thinks i need to replace my pads. The previous owner of the car changed the rotors to slotted which is the reason my friend thinks i should change my pads to get rid of the noise.. but the previous owner never told me if he changed the calipers.. i took the wheel off today and on the rear passenger caliper it said PBR made in Australia..

I have 2 questions... first, is it possible that this noise is coming from the brakes. and second.. if i were to get new pads.. would I have to order some special ones or will any regular ones work??

Thanks guys.

Cheers.

EDIT: The squeaking noise is not the same type of noise heard from SQUEALING worn brakes... just wanted to clarify.
    it could be from a frozen piston in the caliper. I would Jack the rear end up and take the wheels off start the car and have someone watch the rotors and the brakes or have them acclerate the car to about 15 to 25.. You wanna make sure the rotors are moving smoothly and when you brake that they stop. If you see any type of binding or not moving smoothly it could be a frozen piston.

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

check your pads first thing, there is a metal tab that is attatched to the pad usually the outside one sometimes on the inside. when the pad gets worn that metal tab rubs on the rotor and makes a squeel, it is designed to do that. if that is fine check the caliper as stated in the reply above, if the caliper is fine and you put it back together use some antisieze on the back of the pads where they make contact with the caliper, you can buy some anti squeek lube from autozone if you dont have antisieze.

as far as pads go

Organic= cheapest and last the shortest
    semi metallic= last longer but tend to eat rotors up
    ceramic=supposed to last the longest, stop quicker and are more expensive

I run ceramics and love them its up to you and your wallet though.

black
    1999 T/A

caliper

When I inspect calipers I open the bleeder screw and fully compress the piston. If the piston will compress then most likely the caliper is fine. Then remove the caliper from the bracket and inspect the slides. if rusty then clean them with some emery cloth and lube with caliper lube. this is most often the cause of irregular wear. pads should be replaced at 3-4 mm thickness.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Pull the pads off and lube the backing plate and metal to metal contact surfaces. If your pads are worn i would just pick up some regualr pads, Personaly i like ceramic, low dust and low noise.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Thread Information