Gold
    1998 trans am

Brake lights wont work

Hello guys. I just bought my 1998 TA and I discovered that the brake lights don't work at all with exception to my 3rd brake light in the spoiler. All my tail lamps and turn signals are fine, but the brake lights will not light up at all. Although I have not replaced any bulbs yet ( I just got it home ) all the filiments inside the bulbs look complete so I am thinking it must be a short or relay or etc.

Were would you guys recomend the first couple of places to start looking?

Thanks,
    Michael

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

I would have to say first you should try new bulbs even if you think they are ok. Ruling out the simplest things first is always a good idea. If the new bulbs don’t do the trick then make sure the housings are not corroded or melted. If they are fine then check to make sure the wires have power and are grounded properly.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Turn signal switch has failed. 99.8% when the rear brake lights don't work as you describe. Put the hazards on, this is an easy way to check your lights, as the same filament glows for the brake/turn/hazard lights. If they work normally in the back this way, that tells you all the bulbs are ok.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Turn signal switch has failed. 99.8% when the rear brake lights don't work as you describe. Put the hazards on, this is an easy way to check your lights, as the same filament glows for the brake/turn/hazard lights. If they work normally in the back this way, that tells you all the bulbs are ok.
    ^This.

Gold
    1998 trans am

When you say turn signal switch, are you talking about the lever on the column or something inside the column or dash?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

It's inside the steering column.

Gold
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    It's inside the steering column.
    Im gonna see if I can dig up some info, but meanwhile, is it something that can be changed out fairly simple? I mean, do I have to pull the steering wheel? Or can I get underneath and find it on the lower column?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Gold
    1998 trans am

Ok, I feel you guys are on the right track here since everything works except the brake lights when the pedal is pushed. So I went ahead and bought a new turn signal switch since it was a pretty low priced part, and as soon as I got it I knew exactly where it goes.

My question now is, I know I need to pull the steering wheel in order to change it out. But the airbag scares me a bit. How do I need to take precautions with pulling the steering wheel? OR should I just take it somewhere. I called my local dealer and they charge 225.00 just for the labor and Im sure they wont use my part so they charge another 75 for that.

Im no stranger to working on cars, I do auto upholstery and have for many years... but the electrical stuff I don't like and I have no experiance pulling the wheel with air bag.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Have you ever pulled a steering wheel? The airbag isn't that difficult, but you must use some common sense. Like disconnecting your battery, waiting at least 15 minutes before you mess with the airbag wiring (all yellow connectors). Taking the airbag off is one of the first things to do when removing the steering wheel. There are some special tools needed in the steering column, so ask around. You can do this, but it won't get done in an hour or two if you've never done it. Take your time, and don't drink any beer until it's more than halfway complete!

Also, is your Theft-Loc enabled for your radio? Where is the code to re-enable it? If you disconnect your battery, the radio goes into safe mode....

Gold
    1998 trans am

Well I've worked with lots of airbags in auto seats, but never the steering wheel. Shouldn't be too bad though.

I just bought the car on sat. And did not think to ask about theftlock.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

When you shut the car off and then leave it, look to see if the Theft-Loc is flashing on the radio itself. If not, then it is not enabled.

Gold
    1998 trans am

I want to first thank Eveyone that contributed to the answers for my problem.

It was the turn signal switch. I got the part installed this morning and everything is working 100% now. For what it's worth, the GM dealer quoted me 275.00 for labor and 75.00 for the part for a total of 350.00 bucks! I ended up going to the local parts store and bought the switch for 35.00 and rented the steering wheel pulling kit. Total time from start to finish to do the job for my first time was 3 hours exactly. Saved 315 bucks too.

I never would have thought the turn signal switch would cause brake light problems. Thank you guys!!!

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

That's what the forum is for. Glad you got it fixed.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Good call Too Fast and Knight.

Op one more thing that will help your brake lights last a little longer.

Take both rear lights out, drill 3-5 1/8" holes along the bottom side of each tail light. Moisture builds up in these things and ends up corroding them out. The drain holes let it out and you have no more issues.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by mrpontiac80 View Post
    I want to first thank Eveyone that contributed to the answers for my problem.

It was the turn signal switch. I got the part installed this morning and everything is working 100% now. For what it's worth, the GM dealer quoted me 275.00 for labor and 75.00 for the part for a total of 350.00 bucks! I ended up going to the local parts store and bought the switch for 35.00 and rented the steering wheel pulling kit. Total time from start to finish to do the job for my first time was 3 hours exactly. Saved 315 bucks too.

I never would have thought the turn signal switch would cause brake light problems. Thank you guys!!!

Yup, that's what we're here for, to help (not bash) other LSx types. And is your car really gold? That's a rare color.

Gold
    1998 trans am

Yep, sport gold metallic. Pretty happy with it so far. Just bought ws6 chrome rims and tires from another member on here this past Monday. Hopefully I'll get them soon. Meanwhile, here's the car today on my 4th day of ownership.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

F'ning awesome dude! AT car or M6? How about a few more posts now and then....I see you are a member for more than a couple years lol....
    Last edited by Too Fast; 05-11-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Gold
    1998 trans am

Thanks man! It does need a couple things like windshield, passenger rocker skirt, and a dents and scratches. But I only paid 4800.00 bucks for it. It's an auto with 137,xxx miles. All stock right now.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Must be a location thing or something. Since I have been on this forum, I have seen color options here that I have never seen in person.

Thread Information