Thread: Brake Ducting

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Brake Ducting

I bought a bunch of 4" race ducting from a local speedshop to run from my TB to lid (sd mode) and had about 9' leftover that nobody needed so I decided to make my brake ducts functional by sliding the end of a piece of this ducting into the opening (perfect fit) and running the other end via cable tie and staple gun to feed inside the wheel, near the rotor. It's really seemed to make quite a remarkable difference not only in stopping time, but also in acceleration on top end. I'm not sure if it's just an SOTP malfunction or not but it seems like the open ducts with nowhere to feed the pressure to just kind of build it up and catch air, breaking your wind line so to speak and slowing you down. If you catch the air instead you can reroute it to do something useful as well as helping to seal the front end of your car, making you way more aerodynamic. What do you guys think? Anybody wanna see pics?

White
    01 SS Vert

pics please!

I understand the differences in physics terms....however them being really noticable is up for debate. I'm interested in seeing more.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

brake ducts???

Black
    1999 Trans Am

definitely would like to see pics

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I looked everything over and cannot find a way to make it work. Anxious to see pics.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

sry, camera broke

i just stuck the ends into the factory slits on my WS6 just below the turn signal DRL's and pushed up the panel like I used to do on my old firebird because I lost the bolts. Then I ran the ducting out of the bottom of the opening and mounted it to the front sway bar pointing into the wheel. Kept dragging on stuff today though so I just 'dumped' them both out pointing toward the engine, maybe they'll help keep it cooler and it seems to pull SO much harder on top end, I guess this enhances the aerodynamics of the car by allowing the air from the slits to flow directly to the relative vacuum created by the airdam.

Hard to test this kind of thing, no dyno's or anything to measure it. Maybe next time I get out to the drag strip i can pull the hoses off before one run and reinstall them for the next one to see if it makes a difference.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

ooh i gotcha now.....i was thinking you were talking about the vent things on the side of the fenders. Now I understand what inlets youre talking about....I see how it could work now might have to give it a try

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

How many miles do you have on that '00 girl?

I'd think for that ducting to make a notable difference you'd have to be getting air damming relief and more. It is likely you are relieving thermal expansion in the wheel bearings and/or caliper-rotor friction. Especially if this install was done over the last couple of "colder weeks." The bearings would have to have some notable wear to appreciably help there I'd think.

The aero would likely be very little if you ain't running at Daytona or Talladega. You could also be helping the streamed air going into the radiator and feeding the engine by removing rampant air off the nose area.

I've got other projects I'm designing on right now but I have sourced some fans and some duct samples to see about grabbing air down at my fog lights (make my own LED ring to go there) to have an additional feed to the air intake. I may have to check out the brakes too! Some research I did seemed to point to American brake designs allowing more static brake friction than Euro and Japanese designs.
    Last edited by BowTied; 01-04-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Thread Information