Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bogging out

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

Exclamation bogging out

ok my fuel pump took it shit.so i decided to go with the WHOLE racetronix setup.the car ran fine for week.then while i was diving it just dropped in RPM and the car bogged out.and the "CHECK GAGES" light also came on.then after about 30sec it fired right up.but keep on doing same thing.
    things i did to try solving this issue: redid all my grounds,clean the whole throttle-body including tps,maf,new fuel pump relay and fuses,the car still doing the same thing.also once a while the coolant light comes on but i checked all fluids are good.according to the last owner the car has: mild cam, kooks headers ,borla exhaust,heads were redone,and the car is dyno tuned.i did everything but nothing seem to work.its really frustrating when car just shuts off middle of the road.can someone help me out!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When you bought the Racetronix pump, did you happen to get the harness too? I have read threads like this and I looked online and found there is a harness that plugs to the car's harness and the other end to the Racetronix pump. I think it acts like an amplifier as the replacement pump doesn't spin as fast as the factory pump. The harness speeds up the pump.

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    When you bought the Racetronix pump, did you happen to get the harness too? I have read threads like this and I looked online and found there is a harness that plugs to the car's harness and the other end to the Racetronix pump. I think it acts like an amplifier as the replacement pump doesn't spin as fast as the factory pump. The harness speeds up the pump.
    yes i bought the whole racetronix plug and play harness they reccomend.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check your fuel pressure at the rail.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What Jeff said. Also, does the car bog when it's hot? I noticed you mentioned the "check gauges" light. Has the fuel filter been repaced?

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Check your fuel pressure at the rail.
    ok.ill do that tomarrow.and post the result.

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

What Jeff said. Also, does the car bog when it's hot? I noticed you mentioned the "check gauges" light. Has the fuel filter been replaced?
    yeah it usually doesn't do it when its cold.but after about 10-15 mins of driving it does that.yeah i replaced it abt 4 months ago.but gonna go ahead and put it new one.

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

this what the car is doing:

this is after the car decides to fire back up:

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

when the car boggs out

this at idle and wot.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That looks like a pretty steep pressure drop in the first video. Maybe it's just me.

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

That looks like a pretty steep pressure drop in the first video. Maybe it's just me.
    yeah that only happens when the car boggs or shuts off while driving.could it be one of the injectors sticking causing cliynders to over fill and telling the pcm to shut off the car?
    and car smells like gas while driving.also sumone told me that my tune could be messed up.really confused.lol

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If the car is tuned, then it could be off. Fuel trims could be off. Also, another thing, if the coolant temp sensor is bad, it could cause the sputtering as well.

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

If the car is tuned, then it could be off. Fuel trims could be off. Also, another thing, if the coolant temp sensor is bad, it could cause the sputtering as well.
    gonna put new coolant temp sensor tomorrow and c wht it does.if not then i guess re tune it.sense u mention that i took for drive today and it only shuts off after the coolant light comes on.if the light dosn't come on it dosn't shut off.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds to me like you might be on the wrong track but I'm assuming a couple things.

car runs fine.....fuel pump goes out.....you replace fuel pump......current problem starts. That's how I'm reading this and if that's the case the first thing I would do is look at your fuel pump and harness install. Where did you get power to your harness from? Where is it grounded? Have you tried priming but not starting the car and watching the fuel pressure to see if the pressure dives or if it holds pressure? When the car dies initially from the loss of pressure what kinda pressure do you get if you immediately turn the key to run and prime it back up? Does the pump prime right back up?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 98camarols1 View Post
    gonna put new coolant temp sensor tomorrow and c wht it does.if not then i guess re tune it.sense u mention that i took for drive today and it only shuts off after the coolant light comes on.if the light dosn't come on it dosn't shut off.
    in the first video your coolant temp is ~170 it looks like.....when those go out it'll normally read very very cold and flood the car out. Not saying that's 100% not your problem but it's highly unlikely since your gauge is showing a proper reading.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

also, that harness should get power from the back of your alternator. What it does is supply your pump with a constant 14 volts so you don't get voltage drops to the pump. Less volts means less fuel pressure.

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    also, that harness should get power from the back of your alternator. What it does is supply your pump with a constant 14 volts so you don't get voltage drops to the pump. Less volts means less fuel pressure.
    i do prime the pump after the car dies and pressure does go up to 60psi.the harness is powered from the altnator.and it grounded to the rear end.the coolant light is the low coolent level sensor bad.i am not worry abt tht.but im gonna check the relay on the racetronix harness.and c wht it does.or just gonna hook it up to the factory harness.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

so your pressure nose dives, the car dies, and then won't restart even though you have pressure back? And this all started immediately after the fuel pump swap? Do you have access to a scanner so you can see what the car is doing? Sounds pretty strange to me......if the lack of pressure is what's causing it to die then as soon as you get pressure back it should restart with no problems.

Blog Entries

bayside blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    so your pressure nose dives, the car dies, and then won't restart even though you have pressure back? And this all started immediately after the fuel pump swap? Do you have access to a scanner so you can see what the car is doing? Sounds pretty strange to me......if the lack of pressure is what's causing it to die then as soon as you get pressure back it should restart with no problems.
    well i contacted racetronix and tis what they said:
    "Remove the relay from the Racetronix harness and place a small jumper wire between socket terminals 30 and 87. This will be the two terminals with the thick red wires coming out of them. This will provide power from the battery straight to the pump allowing it to run all the time.

NOTE: Do not place anything over-sized in the terminals which will cause them to spread / deform.

If the problem goes away move the jumper wire between terminals 86 and 87. 86 will be the terminal with the gray wire. 87 is the terminal with the red wire going to the BAP PBIC connector. This will allow the pump to run off of the factory wiring/relay. If the problem comes back you have an issue with your factory wiring or PCM".

so im gonna give this try and c wht it does.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

before I did that I would go back over your grounds one more time. When I did my racetronix kit I had a ground issue at first. Ended up having to sand the shit out of it....you may also want to move that ground from your rearend (just noticed that) and move it up to the chassis. It very well may be the fact you have it grounded to the rearend and not the chassis.....try that first. Remember....sand that spot down to nice clean metal.

Thread Information