Body Shop and the law

Had some work done at a body shop and while the area they were fixing turned out fine, around the area was damaged by them by removing the tape, pulled off the clear coat. They tried to blame it on me saying I brought the car in that way but I have full photos of the car prior and they did the damage. They said they could not really fix it because it could not be taped again and wanted to send me on my way. They claimed that if it was insurance work they would only prorate the panel at 25%. Tough situation. If the shop scratches the car are they responsible for repairing it even if it means painting the whole car?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Don't you have a contract you signed prior to them doing the work to your car? If so, I would read it and see what it says. Every car shop is different I would imagine, but I would tend to think that you signed something saying that the shop is not held responsible for any damage incurred to your vehicle while it is on their property. That's pretty standard nomenclature - even if you didn't know you signed it, it's probably worded in there somewhere.

Contract

No body shop around here makes you sign a contract. I am sure there is some fine print somewhere
    the shops have. I wound up paying for their mistake.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I guess you can talk to the shop manager and if that gets you nowhere, speak to the district manager if it's a chain. If it isn't, talk to the shop owner.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

That sounds like a pretty shitty operation. I don't know how it is where you live but here if a shop damages your car they have to fix it. That is why shops carry insurance....or at least should. I carry a $2,000,000 insurance policy for work I do on boats for that reason. If the manager,owner, or regional manager will not make it right I would either file with my insurance company or take them to court over it. I would let them know that too.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The shop didn't try to blend any paint? Shops I've dealt with have blended the paint on the repaired area into the non-damaged area. Sounds shady to me.

body shop

They claim they cant even blend it because they cant tape the car off, the tape keeps pulling the clear off.
    guess thats why they invented small claims court. owner wanted to give me $100 and send me on my way.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    They claim they cant even blend it because they cant tape the car off, the tape keeps pulling the clear off.
    guess thats why they invented small claims court. owner wanted to give me $100 and send me on my way.
    Lol $100? That is very poor customer service. That just shows they don't want to admit they fucked up and they aren't willing to make it right. I would take them to court if they don't make it right. I would also notify them of that, a lot of times that changes their mind. Another thing you can do is report them to BBB (Better Business Bureau).

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That is some right there. $100. If they knew what the hell they were doing, they would have repaired/sprayed the entire panel.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

If you have a buddy who is a lawyer have them contact the owner of the shop...if that doesnt work, you need to weigh out how much it would cost to repair this vs how much it'll cost to go to court. If you never signed anything saying they are not liable for damages AND you have pictures proving that it was not there before you took it to them you have a shot...

Sounds to me you have another issue to worry about other than the body shop.

It sounds as though you've had a clear coat peeling or seperation issue that maybe you weren't aware of. Tape should not be pulling off your clear coat unless there is an underlying issue here. This is a very typical GM problem that they have had for years (since the 80's that I can remember). Not necessarily the body shops fault, however if they were skilled enough they should have caught the issue before the work began, so they could properly warn the new owner of the potential problem and the possible consequences.

However, at this point most owners would then say the body shop is trying to rip me off and get an entire paint job out of me

Now I'm not trying to be the spoiler of the bunch here, but it sounds to me like you were due for a paint job anyway and you weren't aware of it. So whether you find out now in this manor, or you find out 6 months down the road, is it really right to blame the entire mess on the body shop??

body work

It is a bad situation. Paint looked fine and had no signs of pealing or chipping. I have a feeling they left the car in the sun to dry or had heaters on it when it was taped and thats what helped the clear coat to come off.

I can say I've had 4 of these 4th gens. Always garaged, washed and waxed, an occasional buffing session, even bought one new. I've had a couple of them that have clear coat seperation issues. Matter of fact our current 2000 SS is showing signs of very minor clear coat issues around the middle section of the body on the sharp body lines where the plastic bumpers meet the steel quarter panels. 99% of the people that look at the car would never know it. Even my 2005 silverado shows a couple of small areas around the lower wheel well moldings. My father has a 91 pickup he bought new, always garaged and pampered, and it's been repainted on the roof and hood for the same issues.

Hard to say if anything accelerates it, but one thing is for certain. GM has had the issue for many years. I remember in the 90's the clear coat was blowing off cars in sheets. Tons of warranty claims back then for repaints, and these were cars that were barely 3-4 years old. Here we are talking about a 4th gen that is what....10-12 years old or more??

I tend to believe you would have found clear coat issues eventually anyway whether at the body shop or not. And since the only way to fix it correctly would be an entire repaint, I doubt a body shop is going to spring for that on a car that is more than a decade old from a manufacture that is known to have this problem. I really think you'll be wasting time and energy trying to persue it.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-17-2013 at 04:54 AM.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Can you post pictures of what it looked like before and after?

Thread Information