red
    2000 Z28

Blinker dont blink...

Hello all...its been a long time since I posted. Anyway, the other day my blinker stopped working to one side. Going left everything is fine, if I signal right, the light turns on on the dash, the actual turnsignal lights up, but no blinky (just steady light). Any idea if this is a quick fix? Where should I look. Thanks!

Black
    2000 WS6

The flasher might be bad. Its located under the driver bolster.

red
    2000 Z28

Can you elaboorate a little more on how I can check this. Thanks for the reply.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I know EXACTLY whats wrong.

You have a blown bulb.

The next time you turn your right signal on, leave it on and look outside to see which one is not lit, that's your blown bulb.

quicky06
    Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7
    I know EXACTLY whats wrong.

You have a blown bulb.

The next time you turn your right signal on, leave it on and look outside to see which one is not lit, that's your blown bulb.

been there done that hes right

the clicking noise is made by a "Switch" that is basicly just a curved piece of steel. when it is heated up (doesnt take any time due to small piece of steel) it opens and the lights turn off. then when it cools down and closes the lights turn on.

so if one light is blown then there is not enough juice to heat it up enough

red
    2000 Z28

Actually, the bulb works. I checked outside the car. It just dont blink! Any idea on how to fix this? Its annoying because lately Ive been blinking it manually. Thanks!

LS1ROC
    The Flasher Is Located In The Lower Half Of The Dash On The Drivers Side. Take The Panel Below The Steering Wheel Off. I Think It Like 4 Screws Mabye. Once That Is Removed There Will Be A Silver Cylinder Clipped About Where Your Right Knee Would Be If You Were Sitting In The Car. If You Dont Know What It Looks Like Still, Go To The Auto Parts Store And Get One So You Know What You Are After. Just Unclip It And Replace It With The New One.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Ok what if both left and right just blink abnormally, slow and then fast then maybe normal back to fast, you get the idea. I have had that problem for a while now.

LS1ROC
    If all the bulbs are the correct number and installed correctly then I would still try the flasher first

red
    2000 Z28

Thanks, Ill try to get a flasher this week. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Black
    20001 Camaro SS

just curious, are you using aftermarket bulbs or led bulbs? Replace with factory bulbs and I think that will solve your problem.

Take the flasher with you to the auto parts store

Take the flasher with you to the auto parts store to ensure you get the right one, some are 2 pin some 3.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Just because the light works when you turn on the lights doesn't mean that the flasher part of the bulb is not burned out. The bulbs that act as your turn signals have (2) filaments inside - (1) for regular lights, (1) for flasher.

Could be any/all of the bulbs involved in turn signals both front & rear on that side. If the flasher unit itself works for one side then it is not the problem - flasher does not have a seperate circuit for each side - only one circuit that takes care of both sides depending on which position the column switch is in...

-Jay-

LS1ROC
    1quikws6......im not trying to argue but I literally fixed the same problem two weeks ago. The right hand would flash and the left side worked intermittanly. As crazy as it sounds it was definately the flasher. So the flasher can't be totally cut out.

Black
    2002 Camaro

Ok!!! Bottom line!!!! It could be in this order of most obvious.
    1) Burnt out bulb (and as stated above just because the bulb works doesnt mean that the flashing part isnt bad, a bulb cost like $2, Buy one and start changing it out.)

2) Bad connection at the buld connector. (GM bulb terminals are prone to coroding for some reason, double check all of the bulb contacts inside the connector, and make sure that the prongs stick out far enogh to contact the bulb.)

3) Bad flasher (I list this as the third thing because there is a reason GM has stuck with the same flasher for over 20 years. They almost never fail, and when they do they are like $1.00)

4) Wiring harness (this is last because its almost impossible for this to be it (ALMOST) but pray that its not because they are not cheap, and thier a bitch to install because you have to take out almost everything.)

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Sounds like a good plan of attack. I have NEVER had a flasher go bad in any of the cars I have owned since my first in 1976 - allthough I guess it's possible.

I actually replaced all my bulbs with LED versions and installed the Sequential Tailight Mod which entailed adding an extra bulb in the tailights on each side. Because of this (different load on flasher) I needed to go to the electronic style HD flasher in place of my stock mechanical flasher to get the tailights to sequence the way I wanted them to.

Thread Information