Thread: Big Calipers

dk green
    1998 z28

Cool Big Calipers

Im looking for an affordable way to upgrade to 4 or 6 piston calipers want to try my hand at some road racing! already have drilled and slotted rotors (factory size), ss lines, good pads, and bad ass fluid but they get soft when i drive hard. When i say affordable i mean under a grand

NBM
    99 TA

I did the CTS-v calipers (4 piston brembo) with 14" C6ZO6 rotors (requires at least an 18 in wheel). Total cost was $750 (including the spacers and hawk pads), I picked up some calipers off an '05 CTS-v, add a couple hundred if you buy new ones from GMPD.
    I was debating between the 4 piston brembos or the 6 piston C6Z06 PBR calipers, but the latter required a bracket whereas the brembos bolted up.
    The new CTS-v comes with 6-piston Brembo calipers and are suppose to bolt up like these, but I have not seen anyone do it yet and those calipers are $400 each.

Last edited by peterlawl84; 06-30-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Sweet...but how are they compared to stockers?

NBM
    99 TA

Its been years since I had stock rotors. I had run powerslotted rotors, warpped those, went to baer eradispeeds...which were awesome compared to the previous rotors I had, but were expensive.
    These brembos are night and day compared to the eradispeeds I had, I can only imagine how the new 6 piston ones stop. Several ppl on tech have done this swap and everyone seems happy with the performance of them.
    And before others mention pads, I have been running ceramic pads since having stock rotors to keep down on the dust, including now with Hawk ceramics...the braking would be even better if I went with the HPS pads.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ES rider View Post
    Im looking for an affordable way to upgrade to 4 or 6 piston calipers want to try my hand at some road racing! already have drilled and slotted rotors (factory size), ss lines, good pads, and bad ass fluid but they get soft when i drive hard. When i say affordable i mean under a grand
    you understand it is a lot more than 1G to get our cars to handle road racing correct? look into stoptech. they will be more than 1g but well worth it.while you are there read their white papers and learn more about braking dynamics etc. you will find out a good deal and be able to pick and choose what direction you want to go with some education behind you. just to let you know. our rears are more than adequate. so even a hi-po pad will more than likely introduce some scary over steer. also keep in mind that our front calipers are notorious for splitting etc in heavy road race conditions so before you road race..make sure you replace them. and for the love of god try to keep the brake bias near stock.

id personally start on the chassis and suspension first. do you know if you are going to do this competitively or just on weekends kind of thing? if so make sure you know your class and your rules and regulations

dk green
    1998 z28

Just weekends to start, already done a few things, QA1 coil over front shocks, eibach sway bars, eibach rear springs, edelbrock rear shocks, custom made chromolly sub-frame connectors w/tubulare crossmember, she sticks to the road and handles like a champ

dk green
    1998 z28

Almost forgot the adjustable pan hard rod, boxed the trailing arms and installed solid aluminum bushings, and z06 rims guess i could update my profile! lol

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Just weekends to start, already done a few things, QA1 coil over front shocks, eibach sway bars, eibach rear springs, edelbrock rear shocks, custom made chromolly sub-frame connectors w/tubulare crossmember, she sticks to the road and handles like a champ
    Almost forgot the adjustable pan hard rod, boxed the trailing arms and installed solid aluminum bushings, and z06 rims guess i could update my profile! lol
    what rubber will you be using to run ?

Thread Information