Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Best way to reach 3rd plug wire back on passenger side?

Ive got my car on the lift right now and cant get up to this plug from below and it doesnt look like i can reach it from up top either how the hell do you get to it?? ive got long tube headers.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I have yet to do a plug and wire change on my car, but from everything I've read, you should be able to do everything from the top, with the exception of the rear passenger plug, which people find is easier to do from the bottom. I'm interested to see what you find out, though.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28:2770844
    I have yet to do a plug and wire change on my car, but from everything I've read, you should be able to do everything from the top, with the exception of the rear passenger plug, which people find is easier to do from the bottom. I'm interested to see what you find out, though.
    +1

The first time is kind of a pain after that it tends to get easier.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

well i got nothing figured out except that ill have to remove that one line that connects to the header to get my hand down in there

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Third from the top, last one from underneath. Remove wires, coil packs, and coil pack rack. That opens it up considerably.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

well i was trying to do it without removing anything. I got the other 3 withough taking anything off at all

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Helps if you have a set of ractheting wrenches. metric. 8mm on up. Huge help on our cars. I think the coil pack rack bolts are 8 mm. And you don't have to put the last farthest one back in. On either side. Helps when you have to go in there again. Look closely at the rack, you don't have to remove every bolt you see. Only the ones that hold the rack to the valve cover. And, there will be less next time. Good luck. Watch out for those plastic cowl tabs. They will make you bleed!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

One more thing, use a piece of fuel line hose stuck on the end of your spark plug to get the plug started, that way you won't strip the threads. You could also check, and tighten the manifold bolts while you are in there. The last two bolts liek to work themselves loose on our cars. Has to do with how the engines torques away from that side.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

I can get the first 3 wires and plugs on the passenger side from up top with the right swivels and little rachets, but i have to go underneath the car for the last one. im lucky to have skinny hands though.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Im just trying to swap out plug wires i melted some. and luckily i dont have to worry about the bolts since i put in some stage 8 locking ones. but i think ill try to pull off the coil packs tomorrow.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah....taking those coil packs off will be a huge help. The air hose removed makes it much easier too. For future plug swaps I would leave the back bolts out of the coil bracket when you put it back on. It's fine without those and it'll make life easier on the next plug change when you have to take them back off.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

I only have 3 bolts holding my coils in in the front and doesnt hurt a thing and saves alot of time and effort especially when it comes to that last bolt on them that one SUCKS to say the least but once you have done it once or twice it starts to become easy

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Just got it installed I only took off the air line and was able to reach it pretty easily actually. So finally Ive got all 8 changed

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

good and now that you know what you need to do and how to do it, it will be much faster and easier the next time around.

I agree as others posted, you should be able to get that from the top. It is much easier when the air system hose is moved/removed. Also I removed the coil packs when I swapped plugs there is one b*tch bolt that is in the very back I left out. Save the headaches in the future!

Good luck!

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

I agree with all of the above. Remove the bolts for the ignition coils and either delete or temporarily remove the AIR hoses. That will get you enough access to remove the #6 plug. #8 I can only reach from the bottom. If you have long skinny arms you'll be good. I could not replace mine with the CAT's. Once I removed the CAT's when I put the LTH's on it was a cake walk. What took hours to do before now took 20 - 30 min to do both sides.

Thread Information