Best way to clean an aluminum block???

L&G's

I need your input on the best way to clean off grime, grease, etc off of my engine block i want to paint the block (even tho i have heard it ain't such a good idea) but i have been told degreaser then pressure wash it and also put it in a tank with water and degreaser for 3 or 4 hours then rinse, but then again i am wondering if i should take it to a machine shop and have it hot dipped? All your response will be truly appreciated

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Painting an aluminum block is a big no no. It interferes with the innate cooling properties of aluminum and will not allow it to shed heat properly. But to clean a block I would start with some general purpose degreaser then step up to diluted simple green 50/50 solution. You could also get it professionally cleaned at a machine shop by hot tanking it which is by far the best method IMHO.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^^+1

In addition having it hot tank will mean new cam bearings

I like the idea of hot tanking it because it also cleans the internals... Just not sure if its safe! But from the sound of it that should be ok

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by pupi305 View Post
    I like the idea of hot tanking it because it also cleans the internals... Just not sure if its safe! But from the sound of it that should be ok
    It's perfectly safe. That is how they clean the block prior to rebuilding it. In addition to what I said if you are bent on painting it I would run a bigger radiator (or a more efficient one) and a big oil cooler at the very least. But I would never recommend painting an aluminum block.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-03-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Any clear coat so it stays nice and fresh?

Black/ Silver

Any clear coat so it stays nice and fresh?
    You could but I am pretty sure any paint (clear coat or any paint) on the block itself will mess with the heat dissipation properties aluminum has. I would just clean it regularly after it is hot tanked. A degreaser such as a 50/50 solution of simple green should keep it nice and shiny after being hot tanked. Even with paint it will get greasy.

Ya i could do that and really u wont get to see the block too much after everything is installed i will just powder coat like valve covers and brackets to dress them up a lil

Black/ Silver

Ya i could do that and really u wont get to see the block too much after everything is installed i will just powder coat like valve covers and brackets to dress them up a lil
    Sounds like a good plan. I plan on doing that myself at some point.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Power washer...just make sure everything (crank, rings, etc.) is dry and well oiled before putting it back together.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

L&G's

I need your input on the best way to clean off grime, grease, etc off of my engine block i want to paint the block (even tho i have heard it ain't such a good idea) but i have been told degreaser then pressure wash it and also put it in a tank with water and degreaser for 3 or 4 hours then rinse, but then again i am wondering if i should take it to a machine shop and have it hot dipped? All your response will be truly appreciated Click for full size
    Take it to a machine shop and have it hot tanked.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Ok made up my mind i was originally going to take it apart and degrease it and pressure wash it but leaning more towards hot tank... Might start taking it apart this weekend i already received the arp torque lube and royal purple maxx tuff assembly lube on the way cant wait to start building it!

Ok its that time have the block soaking in gunk and when im ready to pressure clean it within an hour or two i will spray it with simple green industrial grade degreaser and lets see how she comes out!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When I used to clean boat motor blocks/parts, I hot tanked them and upon removal, sprayed with Simple Green then hosed off everything.

Cool good to know! I pretty much just pressure washed with gunk and degreaser and it came out pretty clean but i ended up painting it i know its a big no no but i wasn't happy.. pre paint
    post paint

Thread Information