Thread: basic LS1

silver
    mazda rx7

Exclamation basic LS1

im building a project car... using an LS1 block, it will have a carb, and distributor... does any one have any advice.... and yes edle brock does have a conversion for this...

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

Why?? One of the biggest advantages to the LS1 is the ability to use the computer to tune it almost infinitely. I saw the Horsepower or Hot Rod TV show where they used the Edelbrock stuff and I just figured they were pimping their sponsors products...

2000 Z28

Dual Quad Blower....holly black fuel pump....

silver
    mazda rx7

Thumbs up

the thing is, its going into a 1981 rx7, and its my first major conversion, the reason why im choosing the ls1, is the weight, my first choice was going to be an lt1 but its too heavy. if it works good, my other project is going to be an lsx into an 87 rx7, with both cars being under 2000 pounds--- why not

2000 Z28

That sounds like a good reason to me. If you really want the carb go for it. You can still tune a car with a carb for better performance. Get a T-56 to throw behind the LS1 and youll be set.

silver
    mazda rx7

Talking

I'm liking the t56, it was my original plan, but i won't put it on the 81 model, it'll go on the 87 model instead... i'm putting a 4L60 auto-trans from either the 93 firebird or 93 camaro... i'm thinking about a trans-brake, with maybe a sequential shifter set up, or some kind of shift kit. i'll try my best to make it emmisions freindly too, no egr, but actual dual exhaust with their own set of, hot and oxidizing cats, that should be enough

it sounds good on paper, i just hope it works

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by flierromeo View Post
    the thing is, its going into a 1981 rx7, and its my first major conversion, the reason why im choosing the ls1, is the weight, my first choice was going to be an lt1 but its too heavy. if it works good, my other project is going to be an lsx into an 87 rx7, with both cars being under 2000 pounds--- why not
    if your concern is weight to power ratio you should stay with fuel injection... just like robdawg13 said "One of the biggest advantages to the LS1 is the ability to use the computer to tune it almost infinitely."... and if you're goingto go carbed you might as well go with solid lifters and a solid lifter cam to make some power...

silver
    mazda rx7

Talking

you're right, but that means i'll have to run an entire harness and ecu and the works, when you think of it a block is a block is a block, not to mention a buget is a budget...

no matter what you put on a block or in a block, its still a block, the aluminum block is lighter than the cast iron lt1s but other than weight and metalergy its pretty mcuh the same, so i fugure jsut use the block and just go old school, with the edle brock 4 bbl and its corresponding intake, maybe a lightly modified cam and get some money from all them hondas around my way
    Last edited by flierromeo; 05-22-2008 at 07:43 PM.

hugger orange

im building a project car... using an LS1 block, it will have a carb, and distributor... does any one have any advice.... and yes edle brock does have a conversion for this...
    summit racing catalog in the ls1/tpi section should have all the parts you need to make the swap easy. they even offer a control box to run the ls1 igntion so you don't need a distributor.
    just curious what are you dropping into? I have a 69 chevelle I was thinking about putting the ls1 into. good luck and keep me posted on how it goes

silver
    mazda rx7

i didn't even think about summit, ive got like 50 of their catalogs too.... thanks for reminding me... its going into an 81 mazda rx7

hugger orange

i didn't even think about summit, ive got like 50 of their catalogs too.... thanks for reminding me... its going into an 81 mazda rx7
    you would be suprised at how easy you can get the fuel injection to work with a few bowes and I beat painless wiring even has a harness pretty close to what you need if not exactly what you need...the ls series motors are one of the most popular conversions...but if you want the carb, I do know that in the may-june 2008 summit on the top right hand corner of page 331 they have your carb intake....... on the top right hand corner of 333 they have the painless wiring kit plus ecm keep me up to date on the poject and good luck man!

Thread Information