Black
    99 SS

banging off rev limitter

so i got the tranny rebuilt 5k ago and the engine 500miles ago built with a big cam and others in it. so here is what its doing now, its dogging from 0-45mph ish when its in drive and when its in 2nd gear and hits 5,500 rpm's ot revs up real fast like in neutral and bangs the limitter, i have an auto and cant figure this out??

if i shift it manually its fine in first and second it feels like all the power is there .

so what could it be??? it has not been tuned yet so could it be TQ management??
    95 WS6, 6 speed, FULL suspension, 9" spool, Vortech S/C HARD TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99 Z28/SS Vert Triple Black, H/C

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you shoulda put this in the transmission section

Black
    99 SS

i dont know if its the trans or tunning section,

come on i need an answer here

Black
    99 SS

well ok since no one!!! could help me i figured it out my self!!! my stall cant keep up with the HP i have and i need it tuned.

or i need a new stall since this one does not want to lock up!!!. but its all under warrenty and its only 5,000 miles old.

Red
    '85 GT

If I knew the powerflow through your tranny I could tell you whats causing it. In manual lows though it doesn't do it? Something usually engages to hold a planetary member in manual lows like a kickdown band or low/reverse band and that seems to be working. It sounds like a lockup clutch is slipping. I could be way off not knowing the powerflow though. The "lockup" you're talking about has nothing to do with 1st and 2nd gears. Torque converter lockup occurs only in 3rd and O/D...
    Last edited by LS1What; 11-23-2005 at 05:28 PM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Zboner-your answer doesnt make any sense."your stall" cant keep up with your HP? Your torque converter has a stall speed that is predetermined by the setup before it is put in-is this what you are talking about?You raise the stall speed so it slips until a certain rpm and helps an engine who's powerband has been raised in rpm for higher performance at launch.It will not suddenly slip at 5500 rpm if it's working correctly.Sounds more like a transmission problem that you should get addressed under warranty.

Black
    99 SS

no it made sence to me, the Stall does not want to lock up, it may be a tunning problem but we will find out tuesday

Red
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    no it made sence to me, the Stall does not want to lock up, it may be a tunning problem but we will find out tuesday
    Again, torque converter lockup doesn't occur until direct drive (3rd) and/or an O/D gear (4th)... The torque converter, I don't think is your problem. It may not be that right stall speed for your engine, but that isn't going to make it slip in 2nd like you're saying it is. Can you explain to me why you think it's the converter?

Black
    99 SS

cause its not locking up now at low speeds, like it will sometimes and more then most will not lock up at WOT from 0-50mph i dont know it wont go over 2,500RPM's

im, not much of an auto guy more of a manual, but i think that may be the case on this one, and yes i do need a new 3,000 stall for the cam that i had installed.

~
    Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packing right here. I've got four-eleven positrack out back. Seven-fifty double pumper. Edelbrock intake, bored over thirty, eleven to one pop up pistons. Turbo jet, three ninety horse power.We're talking some fucking muscle.

Red
    '85 GT

cause its not locking up now at low speeds, like it will sometimes and more then most will not lock up at WOT from 0-50mph i dont know it wont go over 2,500RPM's

im, not much of an auto guy more of a manual, but i think that may be the case on this one, and yes i do need a new 3,000 stall for the cam that i had installed.

~
    Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packing right here. I've got four-eleven positrack out back. Seven-fifty double pumper. Edelbrock intake, bored over thirty, eleven to one pop up pistons. Turbo jet, three ninety horse power.We're talking some fucking muscle.
    Hmm... You said it's under warranty, that's good :P Yup, that's me... I got a think for nicely done Honda's too... Yeah, I said it...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Darn, Zboner, did you tear up something else?

Black
    99 SS

read that whole post where it says TURBO on it, you could laugh your ass off.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    Darn, Zboner, did you tear up something else?
    maybe we will see come next week but this is covered under a warrenty

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Okay, you got away with one this time.

Black
    99 SS

i dont know kinda scared and not really my fault on this, but this car is so dayum scarry, the rear end breaks out at 65mph when i hammer it

Red
    '85 GT

read that whole post where it says TURBO on it, you could laugh your ass off.
    Yeah, there's some idiot's on every board. I like alot of the guys on Honda-Tech from the Kills section. If you don't come in acting like a stupid dumbass and half know what you're talking about, they're good guys haha... Most in the Kills Section are domestic drivers or just plain automobile enthusiasts. I like the guy who posted the turbo LS1 dyno sheet and said "Yeah, judging by this graph, a turbo LS1 is a real piece of shit. Duhh..."

As you can see everyone flames that "mmmsushi" guy or whatever... Who says stupid shit like...

"how the f.uck does that justify weather its a piece of shit or not, its a CHEVY, and what are you gonna do with that much power anyway, just sit there and spin and go through multiple tires, its just another way to waste cash on gay shit."

Haha, what a loser. Nothing better to do than just be a dumbass and post stupid comments...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

i dont know kinda scared ... this car is so dayum scarry...
    Better the car than your girlfriend.

Thread Information