Thread: Bad rattle

Silver
    2000 TA

Bad rattle

bad rattle under the car when i start it, sounds like exhaust

i fear the dreaded piston slap. any help would be great

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

doubht piston slap... that sounds of a ... well a slap. repeative. i guess. you said rattle.? yes probaly a loose/broken/ bent exhaust mount. next time rev the engine and see if it increases and note where the noise is coming from. Although noises can be decieving...... front to back should be easy. Climb up under that beast and give a good visual inspection of mounting places. Thats the first place to start.... always. Reply back with more info if needed afterward.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    doubht piston slap... that sounds of a ... well a slap. repeative. i guess. you said rattle.? yes probaly a loose/broken/ bent exhaust mount. next time rev the engine and see if it increases and note where the noise is coming from. Although noises can be decieving...... front to back should be easy. Climb up under that beast and give a good visual inspection of mounting places. Thats the first place to start.... always. Reply back with more info if needed afterward.
    ^^^

I had some rattles and just got under the car without it running and started banging the shit out of the exhaust. Found out it was actually the metal rings on the factory o2 sensors that was rattling...I ended up replacing them but some RTV under the ring would have solved it also.

Silver
    2000 TA

when i rev sometimes it goes away, sometimes it gets louder, mostly rattles when i am sitting still. my first thought was exaust also. even when i come to a stop at a traffic light it happens sometimes.

guess i need to jack it up and check it out.

pewter
    1999 z-28

Quote Originally Posted by atilla2000tax2 View Post
    when i rev sometimes it goes away, sometimes it gets louder, mostly rattles when i am sitting still. my first thought was exaust also. even when i come to a stop at a traffic light it happens sometimes.

guess i need to jack it up and check it out.

i had the same problem with my SLP LM2, but the problem was on the Y-pipe
    where you connect the tail pipes was sitting on the upper panhard bar. bought a regular pipe holder and replaced the stock hanger holder. never happened again.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Had something similar a couple different times, turned out the first time to be a heatshield in the back so I just removed it. the second time was my exhaust mount bracket was loose so I tightened it and took it to a shop to get the bolts spot welded in place so it wouldn't happen again. And of course my transmission mount busted so I replaced it. All 3 caused a rattle at idle. Or you can ck clamps on the exhaust, but on my car it sounded more like a loud ticking noise, thought for sure it was valvetrain.

Shouldn't be anything serious, good luck.

silver
    2002 z-28

same thing happened to me....my magnaflow exhaust was rubbing against my gas tank heat shield.....i just bent the edge of the heatshield up and out of the way ......no more rattles

Green

If it is not the pipes, it could be the muffler. Some how mine got damaged and now rattles every once and a while. If you tap the muffler you can hear it rattle.

Thread Information