pewter
    2002 camaro z28

bad rack and pinion??

Ok well here's the story.. I was on my way out the door when I realize my front tire has a nice size slit in it.. So I decide its time for new front tires... I go to Tire Works and get tires... I need an alignment too.. They come back and tell me they can't align the front because my rack and pinion are all messed and it would be 700 bucks to have it fixed... how can I tell if my rack and pinion are messed up... drives normal.. No leaks.. No play big play in the wheels.. any help?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by mr_r0bert0 View Post
    Ok well here's the story.. I was on my way out the door when I realize my front tire has a nice size slit in it.. So I decide its time for new front tires... I go to Tire Works and get tires... I need an alignment too.. They come back and tell me they can't align the front because my rack and pinion are all messed and it would be 700 bucks to have it fixed... how can I tell if my rack and pinion are messed up... drives normal.. No leaks.. No play big play in the wheels.. any help?
    Something does'nt add up there..Was the car ever wrecked? Maybe try getting a second oppinion from somewhere else.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

pewter
    2002 camaro z28

Well yeah.. I was hit in an intersection... had to replace bumper, berger and stock 10 bolt... insurance took care of that but I paid out of pocket to have everything else looked at and full tune up... they said it all looked good.. And this was a year ago... haven't hit anything not even a curb since then... and I think maybe I showed to much cash on the spot and they tried takin me for a fool... im going to a mechanic (my friend) who works next to me tomorro and get a second opinion

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well yeah.. I was hit in an intersection... had to replace bumper, berger and stock 10 bolt... insurance took care of that but I paid out of pocket to have everything else looked at and full tune up... they said it all looked good.. And this was a year ago... haven't hit anything not even a curb since then... and I think maybe I showed to much cash on the spot and they tried takin me for a fool... im going to a mechanic (my friend) who works next to me tomorro and get a second opinion
    Yeah I would get a second opy, cant see getting rear ended causing that..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

...they can't align the front because my rack and pinion are all messed...
    Thats a pretty vague description from them. Did they say specifically what was wrong with the rack and pinion? Did they say it was loose, bent, or seized/they couldn't adjust it?

What did your buddy mechanic friend say?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

racks are only like 150 bucks rebuilt at one of the parts stores and you could do it your self.

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    racks are only like 150 bucks rebuilt at one of the parts stores and you could do it your self.
    ya, just the rack mounting bolt on the drivers side wont come out unless you jack the engine up a little bit (gotta take the motor mount bolt off, at least on the T/A's anyway). Just put one in the T/A, aside from that bolt the rest is cake.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

AHHHHHH YOU ABOUT GOT, GOT MAN nice catch lol.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Talking

^^^WTF?

Thread Information