Thread: Bad Day!!!

White
    2000 Trans AM

Angry Bad Day!!!

So on my way home from work I notice some some smoke/mist from underneath my hood. I get home 2 mins later and find out my top raditor hose busted. A small hole but none the less needs to be changed. I find the top hose only because the bottom has to be special order... go figure Pep Boys...
    Anyway I fit everything back together and going to let it come to temp to top if off with coolant...
    Now my I'm showing 12VDC at idle. I put a meter on the battery and yup 12VDC and slowly dropping with at idle. So I closed the hood and look for an altenator tomorrow. I might even wait for the weekend I'm so pissed.

End result what I thought would be a $12 fix being the the hose will now go into the $220 range for a new alternator

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

If it makes you feel better, my buddy got a letter from his apt complex that they were going to start fining for vehicles leaking fluids and having trash in them.

I was supposed to follow him after work, but got a call this morning at 5:00 .that apparently some switch failed and the brake lights were perma on killing his car.

He took it in and asked them to check it over. Bad wheel bearing hub. leaking valve gaskets, leaking oil pan, fix tail lights, timing chain replace and some other stuff I forgot for a whopping 1400 dollars.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Make sure you check your terminals and ensure there clean and tight and let it dry out, if your Hose was pouring coolant it may have soaked the alt. Let it sit a while and dry out and it may just fix itself, Any liquid and electrical doesnt match to well.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Make sure you check your terminals and ensure there clean and tight and let it dry out, if your Hose was pouring coolant it may have soaked the alt. Let it sit a while and dry out and it may just fix itself, Any liquid and electrical doesnt match to well.
    J
    I agree....let everything dry out and how are you checking the battery?

White
    2000 Trans AM

I got 12.15VDC with the engine off
    12VDC and dropping at idle with a VOM

SOM
    2002 SS

I had the same issue all of a sudden after work. Ended up replacing the battery and alternator and all it was was the terminals not being clean.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I broke synchros in a T56 on Sunday. Car lost 4th gear completely. My car has 14,500 miles on it. The rebuild is costing me $2050. I consider your day a not so bad one lol. Good luck and hopefully drying out will fix itself!

White
    2000 Trans AM

Ain't this some shit.....
    Well I went outside because I'm bored as shit waiting on my new altenator...started the TA up and guess what!
    14.65VDC and holding!!!
    It had a funny smell because of the coolant buring from the engine so I took it out for a spin, making sure to somewhat baby it. After a 20 minute joy ride its doing fine. You guys were right, things did dry out and all is good. My wife even cracked a smile and made a comment about now atleast i have a spare altenator

white
    2000 Z28

lol if that spare has a better amp rating change it anyway. if not take then do what you want. i know the stockers sometimes cause the lights to dim when idling.

Thread Information