Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Question backfiring(please help)

for about the past week when i try and start my car, it backfires and wont turn over on the first crank. the 2nd crank it starts right up. yesterday, as well as today, when i went to start my car to head home from work, i put the key in the ignition, went to turn it over, sounds like its trying to start but nothing but a loud ass pop(backfire). seriously, it sounded like a fucking shot gun. when it does it(backfire) it seems like it gets louder and louder. it does not backfire when im driving or after i decelerate from accelerating. also, its not every time i try and start my car. i'd say every 3rd time i go out to start my car is when everyone around me hits the pavement as soon as i turn it over and a LOUD ass pop happens. its fucking pissing me off and embarrassing.

side note: dont know if this could have anything to do w/it. about 2 weeks ago i had my muffler cut off right behind my rear axle and was running open exhaust(no cats and no muffler). this started about a week ago. it did not start as soon as i had my muffler cut off. just out of the blue this shit is happening. i was hoping it had something to do w/me cutting off my muffler(not enough backpressure???) so yesterday i had it welded back on. and its still doing it. WTF????

any ideas/suggestions????

thanks in advance.

BLUE
    02 TRANS AM

Mabye the crank sensor, or cam sensor. Sounds like the pcm does not know when to fire.

Red
    2000 SS Camaro

Plugs

I would take a look at your plugs

red
    1999 trans am convert

This is from the service manual:
    Backfire
    Checks
    Actions

DEFINITION : Fuel ignites in the intake manifold or in the exhaust system, making a loud popping noise.

Preliminary Checks
    Refer to Important Preliminary Checks Before Starting in Symptoms .
    Search for bulletins.
    Inspect the PCM grounds for being clean, tight and in the proper locations. Refer to Engine Controls Schematics .

Fuel System
    Test for incorrect fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .
    Test for a restricted fuel filter. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .
    Test for a contaminated fuel condition. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .
    Inspect that each injector harness is connected to the correct injector/cylinder according to the firing order (firing order: 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3). Relocate injector harnesses as necessary.

You are not throwing any codes? No SES light?

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

first, my SES light always stays on(due to me ditching my cats). because of that, i routinely have my car scanned at auto zone atleast 2-3 times a month to make sure its not throwing any other codes besides the one i know about(po420). i had my car scanned at auto zone yesterday and heres the list of codes:

po305-cyclinder misfire detected-cylinder # 6. the pcm has determined that a misfire has occurred in cylinder #6.

po342-cam senson condition. the pcm has determined that the voltage signal from camshaft position sensor "A" is too low for the current engine operating conditions.(bank 1 or single sensor)(bank1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 indentifies the clinders on the opposite bank). (as mentioned by 1 TRANS AM)-thanks for the reply.

po171-fuel trim bank one condition. the pcm has determined that during testing, the fuel system for bank1 was too lean. (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 indentifies the cylinders on the opposite bank).

po332-knock sensor condition. the pcm has determined that the voltage signal from knock sensor 2 is too low for current engine operating conditions. (bank 2) (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank).

^^^this is from the printout they gave me at auto zone.

the earliest i can get it to my mechanic is wednesday. what do you guys think? is it safe to drive until then? or will i just be doing more harm than already done? it is my only means of transportation. thanks for the replies.

red
    1999 trans am convert

I think I would do everything I could to avoid driving it.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

im not driving it anymore till i have to drop it off w/my mechanic. my wife just got a new car so ive been cruisin in that. '04 altima, black w/dark tint. really clean, brand new tires. if i ever have to get rid of my Z(fat chance), i would more than likely get one of those. get to take my dads hot rod to work monday. that'll be cool.

i just hope its nothing major so i dont have to spend an ass load of cash to have it fixed.

Thread Information