silver & black
    98 Z-28 Camaro

B&m Shiftplus 'does Anyone Know How To Hook It Up???

I Recently Got Me A B&m Shiftplus From One Of My Buddies With No Instructions On How To Hook It Up. I Have No Idea, Any Info Would Be Greatly Appreciated...i Have A 98 Z A4..

White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Couldn't find any instructions online.. Brent Franker had some on his page, but the link is bad. I did find a few things on the unit though, albeit they are old...

# B&M ShiftPlus Electronic Shift Improver: (2/7/1998)
    This shift improver plugs into the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) of the car and electronically calibrates the shifting of AODE transmissions (92 and up). The shifts are harder, firmer, and faster than stock, plus the unit has three settings, so you can control what kind of shifts you want (stock, Stage I, and Stage II). The unit is fairly easy to install once you locate the computer on your car, because you only have to splice in two wires. Unfortunately, the instructions from B&M aren't very accurate as far as the location of the PCM, so I spent a while searching for it. On a '95 Mustang, the computer is located in the passenger side foot-well, behind a panel next to the door, on the right side. Once the panel is removed, you will need to push aside a couple wire harnesses to get access to the PCM. Also, you may have trouble using the connectors that come with the kit, because one of the wires you need to attach to the shift improver is too large, and the wire must be stripped before crimping on the connector. Be careful not to cut the wire completely! With the unit attached, you can route the wires behind the dashboard and over to the driver's side. I placed the unit to the left of the center console, right next to the stereo, using the velcro tape that comes with the kit. Overall, I'm happy with the improvement. Although the instructions weren't great, I like the fact that you can return the shifting to stock when firm shifts aren't needed.
    [picture]--[information]
    # UPDATE! (3/31/1999)
    Due to the recent reports of problems with the B&M Electronic Shift Improver, I am no longer recommending that they be installed. A few people have had serious EEC-IV computer or transmission problems as a result of using the Shift Improver. Until this issue is resolved by B&M, my opinion is that you take a large risk by putting one in your car. A more reliable alternative would be to install a Trans-Go Shift kit, which is described in a later section...
    And this thread talks about it a little.. Link
    The dates on these are like 1999, so they may have changed/improved them since then. You may want to email someone at B&M, they would probably be the best source for info unless someone here has it.

silver & black
    98 Z-28 Camaro

thanks i sure appreciate the info i will check into it some more before installing it on my car

Dark Green
    1994 Camaro

I posted the instructions in the form of two pictures here:
    http://www.lancasterrattlers.com/bm/bm.html

Your PCM is located on the passenger side at the very back . It has 4 plugs with sets of wires running to each plug. There is only two bolts, 10mm I think, that hold it in and it slips right out. Each plug has a color labeled to it and I cant remember which ones are which, but is says clearly on it. Really easy to do, just take your time and all will be well. Took me about 45 mins to an hour, most of that running the wires from the inside of the car to the PCM. If you have problems, I can make copies of it and send it to you and I can get some pics posted if you would like. Turned out really nice and the shifting is great.

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Having worked there, I would not recommend you install it. All it does is jack up the line pressure via the pressure signal the ECM sends out, then it increases the signal for more pressure. Your best bet is to get a shift kit and have the transmission settings recalibrated in the ECM. JMHO, good luck!

Thread Information