Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: axle bump stops

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

axle bump stops

i hope everyone knows what i'm referring to. these are the rubber blocks that have two bolts on them to hold them to the underside of the wheel well directly above where the rear axle is at. they are there to prevent the axle from traveling too far upwards as the suspension travels.

i have looked high and low and despite getting part numbers, nobody has these available any longer. anyone know where to get them? i had one break off in my hand last week while i was doing the rear brakes.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

You can still get the discontinued GM parts on eBay or some other places like Hawks Third Generation but they are pricey. Hawks also has a factory style kit with aftermarket bumpers. You can also consider going with Energy Suspension part number 9.9137 (sorry not allowed to post a link as they aren't a sponsor but you can look them up) for around $20 a pair. If you have 17" or larger wheels make sure you are using bump stops that are as tall as the original ones. GM used different stops to ensure that the larger tire/wheel combo on the SS and WS6 didn't hit the fender. This was primarily accomplished through a metal spacer under the bumper. If you have the spacer originally and go with an aftermarket bump stop that does not include a new spacer, continue to use the spacer.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Or these if $$ isn't an issue: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-10164173

(I linked the Energy bump stops, Steve - didn't realize it was the same part number you mentioned in your post)

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

axle bump stops

awesome thanks guys
    1999 Z/28

M6 w/ Hurst shifter and SLP skip shift eliminator, drilled rotors, Y3F package, SLP lid w/ K&N filter, VFN fiberglass 2" cowl hood, TSP 1 3/4" headers & ORY

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Teamwork!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Ebay.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

Cost $28 for the set. Some trimming is required. Had these for the last 4 yrs now.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Teamwork!
    Curse you all, my passenger rear bumpstop just came off!!! Are the Energy Suspension ones needing a lotta modification for WS6's??

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

There is a lip on the underside of the body where the stock piece bolts in. You have to shave that off if you want to use the energy suspension ones (the same one Sam Strano sells). I have these on my car, after the stockers literally crumbled at the lightest touch last year when I was replacing my rear sway bar endlinks... They were like powder... Haha!
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    There is a lip on the underside of the body where the stock piece bolts in. You have to shave that off if you want to use the energy suspension ones (the same one Sam Strano sells). I have these on my car, after the stockers literally crumbled at the lightest touch last year when I was replacing my rear sway bar endlinks... They were like powder... Haha!
    Are you saying to shave the underside of the bump stop, or actually shave the body of the car? If its the latter, what do you use to do that?

Navy Blue Metallic

axle bump stops

yes when you see how they are mounted. there is a tab that is part on the frame. cut it off with grinder, dremil. hacksaw.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    yes when you see how they are mounted. there is a tab that is part on the frame. cut it off with grinder, dremil. hacksaw.
    Just because I am a bit squeamish about cutting up the body, does anyone have pictures for the cutting work?

With the cutting, is the Energy Suspension bump stop the proper height to mount as for a WS6, or are there parts I need to reuse from the old mount to shim or something?

Stops are on order from Summitt.

Navy Blue Metallic

axle bump stops

when you pull tge old ones off like I said you'll see a tab. Only thing need from the old ones is the bolts. Im away from my car so I can't take a pic....

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

There is a video on youtube of the install and the particular piece that needs to be ground off.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ You may link the video.

Navy Blue Metallic

And no this is not me in the video....

You see that lip/tab. It's a location tab that is not needed. Trim/grind it flush to the frame rail and shoot some paint on the expose metal and then bolt up.

There is also some spacers from SLP for lowered cars that run on 17" wheels. Adds about a 1/2". The only bad thing is they come also with the tab. I had mine milled flat.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 07-01-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

And no this is not me in the video....

You see that lip/tab. It's a location tab that is not needed. Trim/grind it flush to the frame rail and shoot some paint on the expose metal and then bolt up.

There is also some spacers from SLP for lowered cars that run on 17" wheels. Adds about a 1/2". The only bad thing is they come also with the tab. I had mine milled flat.
    Does the WS6 package have that spacer? Why would they put a tab on the spacer when its already on the body to begin with?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our WS.6 has an aluminum block between the body and the bump stop (old pic from when the 10 bolt was being yanked):

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Our WS.6 has an aluminum block between the body and the bump stop (old pic from when the 10 bolt was being yanked):

Click for full size
    From what I can see in that picture, the space goes past the tab. If this is the case, can I get away without having to cut it?

Also, while I am at it, Ive had a set of rear sway bar endlinks in my inventory and figure this is the best time to use them. I forget if the suspension needs to be under load for the propoer instal on them, been about 15 years since I've done one.
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 07-03-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Thread Information