Anyone experiment with removing the cats?

I am thinking of removing the stock cats and installing a pair of pipes in there just to see if or how much of a difference the noise is and performance at the track.

Since they come off rather easy and it would be simple to modify some old cats, it would be a quick swap back and forth to see if it's worth anything.
    This is with the stock manifolds in place. I am just curious and it wouldn't really take much fab work.
    Anyone have an old pair of cats for an 02 LS1 laying around they want to sell? Larry.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

When i bought my car the guy had an ORY, a lil bit louder but couldnt tell much of a differance. I cant say anything bout performance cuz i didnt race it with an ORY, but some say itll free up a few horses. The last time i checked its a $5000-$15000 fine for not having cats on ur car.

Artic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Removing the cats will help with exhaust flow and add a few HP. I don't think it will be too loud with the stock manifolds. There will definately be a difference. You should consider headers soon if you want some power though.

Not worried about the fines, we don't have e-checks where I live.
    Yes I plan on headers in the future, but I want to experiment with a few other things first. I am going to baseline the car stock, then start tuning with HP Tuners, removing torque management etc...
    I want to remove the cats since it's so easy to do, either fab a pair of pipes or start with on old pair of cats and do some cutting and welding,,throw them on and run the car again. They can easily be switched back and forth.
    Little by little I will get more serious with mods. I like to tinker and keep logs of everything that makes a difference and things that don't work so well. One reason I am at the track so much. Larry.

Artic White
    2001 Camaro SS

We don't have e-checks here either. I understand about keeping a log with what you are doing. I do to. I use a Diablosport Predator to tune my car. It's easy to use and quick to download when I change things. So not much down time at the track.

Here's a list of my mods for a comparison to what you might do:
    SLP Longtubes & Y- Pipe , Borla Cat back Exhaust, no cats , Adj. Torque Arm, Panhard Rod, Boxed Lower Control Arms, Subframe Connectors, Strut Tower Brace, BBK 80mm Throttle Body, March Underdrive Pulleys, Crane Z-Cam 224/234 .551 114lsa. MSD 8.5 Wires , NGk TR-55. When I race I run on Centerline Convo Pros and M/T 26 x 10.5 slicks and sportsman skinnys.

white
    2002 z28

im glad theres no e checks in detroit

Thread Information