Red
    2000 Trans AM

Any suggestions_Diagnosis

Alright so I have 2 problems not sure if they're related.

First problem is a winding noise thats in sync with the revving with the engine. When it's idling you cant really hear it and when you rev the engine it gets louder.

Second problem is I had a bad toe alignment and it ate up my old riken tires. I just got new ones this weekend and when I corner hard i hear sort of a what i would describe as a dull grind. It started when the old tires were almost gone and the beads were showing, i figured it was the beads scrapping on the ground. Im not sure if its the tread on the new tires or something else.

Im not sure if they're related in any way. If you have any tips on what I can do to diagnosis give ma shout, any help is appreciated. The transmission was rebuilt a few yeas ago i dont know if something going out again. I also dont have much experience with diagnosing the steering problems. I thought it might be the rack but again, not a strong idea.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

1st prob: the whine noise could be one of the belt driven pulleys. It could be the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, alternator, AC compressor, or maybe the power steering pump is low on fluid. You could pull the belts off and spin each pulley and see if you can find one that doesn't sound or feel right.
    2nd prob: Check to see if the tires are rubbing on something the inner fender plastic. You could also jack the car up so the wheels are off the ground and check the front end for looseness. If a wheel bearing gets loose enough, it could make a grind noise.

Red
    2000 Trans AM

very helpful man Ill check into those, Im thinking it might be low on fluid. i was messin around with ti this morning and I was stationary, turning the wheels. everytime i get out of the steering wheel play range it would make that grinding noise. so if theres looseness in the front end it probably bearings? Sorry if I sound stupid but i jsut fix whats shit on me and my friends cars, so I dont know much about shit i havent fixed before.
    Last edited by transam_00; 07-21-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Toe wont, well shouldnt take a tire to belts. That is camber that will do that. I would check your ps fluid and verify that it is correct

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    Toe wont, well shouldnt take a tire to belts. That is camber that will do that. I would check your ps fluid and verify that it is correct
    by correct you mean full?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by transam_00 View Post
    by correct you mean full?
    Yepp Full and make sure its "power steering fluid",you can tell by the smell, color, and viscosity.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by transam_00 View Post
    so if theres looseness in the front end it probably bearings?
    If you can rock the wheel/tire up and down then the looseness is probably in the wheel bearing.
    If you can rock the wheel/tire left and right then the looseness is probably tie rods

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

^^^^^ +1 but you dont actually have "wheel bearings per say" you have a hub bearing that is damn quite pricey

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

hub bearing...wheel bearing....same thing. Doesn't matter how much it costs. If its bad, it needs to be replaced

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Escpecially since the hubs are sealed. But you can do that yourself with the right tools OP.

Thread Information