Thread: Any ideas?????

white
    1999 trans am

Any ideas?????

Hey i have a strange problem i have a 99 trans am m6 the car was running great for a few months after i had gotten it back together, then i parked it in the garage over night came out the next day and started it after about 5 min the fuel gauge,coolant temp,tach, dropped out and stopped working and the obd2 connector wouldnt connect to the scanner. i tested the connector i have everything there except for the data signal. i checked all grounds on the car and back of heads checked fuses.inspected for broken wires. i came to the conclusion it was the pcm i ordered a new pcm programmed to my car and same part number for my year. still did the same thing. now if i let the car sit for a day or 2 everything will work for about 5 min then shuts off and for the life of me i cannot figure out what else to look at

White
    02 WS6

How easily does it turn over? Low battery charge will do that.

white
    1999 trans am

turns over and fires right up just has a miss and dosent run right after the gauges drop out
    then after that they never come back on untill i let it sit for a day or so

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

sounds like a short some where... any buring smells or anything like that???

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That is weird -- not that it's related in any way, but our '98 Durango did that to me a few years ago. The gauges suddenly quit working, then it would start and immediately die. After 3 weeks of fussing, a "computer reset" finally did the trick, disconnected the battery and held the key in the start position for 15 seconds. Strange.

I would normally say look for an intermittant short, but the fact that it does it every time precludes this. Could there be a relay in the power supply circuit on the fritz? Sounds like an electrical component that once it gets a little heat in it may be opening up and breaking the connection. Start by moving some relays around under the hood -- you'll want to swap anything to do with ignition and possibly fuel for starters. Just keep track of what you do to see if you can isolate the bad component.

white
    1999 trans am

thanks guys . thats what i was wondering to about the heat and breaking a connection
    and ill try that reset for the hell of it couldnt hurt and there isnt any buring smell well that i can tell . thanks for the help! anymore ideas please share

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ls1racer1999 View Post
    thanks guys . thats what i was wondering to about the heat and breaking a connection
    and ill try that reset for the hell of it couldnt hurt and there isnt any buring smell well that i can tell . thanks for the help! anymore ideas please share

That "reset" thing is Dodge only. Disconnecting your battery will have an effect on your car also. Upon intial start up, provided everything else is ok, it will hunt for idle and take a minute or two to settle in.

white
    1999 trans am

oh ok . yea im going nuts with this thing it honestly happened over night . its just wierd if i let it go for a day or 2 it will work but as soon it dose go out it wont work at all untill i let it sit and im not even positive it will work im just hoping i didnt mess the new computer up or the old one.

Thread Information