black
    2000 pontiac trans am

Another weird electrical power window question

My driver side window intermittently stops working, noticed it today, weather is a little hotter than normal. The electric windows have a thermal overload? After a minute or so the window works for a little bit and quits again. the passenger side works fine. When the window stops working and i hit the button i can hear a very light buzzing under the dash and then it stops? figure the regulator motor itself might be starting to go?

looked at it again, that light buzzing sounds electrical, only buzzes when, the widow stops moving and i hit the switch for the window to lower then go up. The sound is definitely from the lower driver side dash. I am kinda skeptical of it being the regulator motor, Im going to dive under the dash a little latter and look for obvious stuff, Any help would be appreciated, thanks

ohh! is there a relay for that window? Im kinda gravitating in that direction?
    Last edited by Rob00Taws6; 06-02-2010 at 11:30 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Its probablly just the window motor. If you think the regulator is bad also you can get a regulator with the motor attached to it from GM.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

The driver side express down module is located under the dash.

If its buzzing, you have a problem. The window going out should not cause it to buzz like that.

I would follow our driver side express down instructions and bypass that module. If it works fine after that, then its the module.

The stopping starting symptoms generally are because of thermal switch tripping in the motor.

The wiring on our windows from the factory is very poor.

You can find more info on our site or by searching for AutoTrix on the forum.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    The driver side express down module is located under the dash.

If its buzzing, you have a problem. The window going out should not cause it to buzz like that.

I would follow our driver side express down instructions and bypass that module. If it works fine after that, then its the module.

The stopping starting symptoms generally are because of thermal switch tripping in the motor.

The wiring on our windows from the factory is very poor.

You can find more info on our site or by searching for AutoTrix on the forum.
    Ya i found the relay thats whats buzzing under the dash, looks like the thing has been replaced before. Was easer to find the relay than it was to find the part. Im going to try to bypass it for now but I would like to get a relay back in there. I don't know about the window motor and regular? It appears to be ok, its not struggling to pull the window up or down

Another question, my car has been sitting sense November. I had the battery disconnected last month i changed my fluids and reconnected the batter and I didn't get around to putting it on the insurance till today could the battery be going, enough to make that relay chatter? I've done a fare amount of motor control work and I've seen relays chatter and hum when there under powered?

Thanks again for the information, very helpful getting opinions on the problem.

red
    2002 t/a ws6,1972chevelle

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rob00Taws6 View Post
    Ya i found the relay thats whats buzzing under the dash, looks like the thing has been replaced before. Was easer to find the relay than it was to find the part. Im going to try to bypass it for now but I would like to get a relay back in there. I don't know about the window motor and regular? It appears to be ok, its not struggling to pull the window up or down

Another question, my car has been sitting sense November. I had the battery disconnected last month i changed my fluids and reconnected the batter and I didn't get around to putting it on the insurance till today could the battery be going, enough to make that relay chatter? I've done a fare amount of motor control work and I've seen relays chatter and hum when there under powered?

Sounds like the same problem i am having but with out the buzzing sound all my research and who ive talk to on here says it is the window motor. I store my t/a disconnect the battery every year neverhad a problem with the relay and my battery went compltley dead while it was disconnect thought that might help

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rob00Taws6 View Post

The motor is the typical problem for our cars, usually the regulator is good for alot longer. The motor takes a crap b/c of what gnomee said, the motor doesn't get the correct amount of power and it gets burned up. I always roll my windows up and down one at a time while the motor is running to extend the life my garbage advanced auto parts remaned motor.

I still have the battery that came with the car 4 years ago, I never disconnect it and store it outside during the winter and I have never had a problem, marine trickle charger FTW!

Thread Information