Black
    1999 Pontiac

Another Turn Signal Question

been searching through a lot of old threads, but i'm not sure if i've found the exact problem i'm having, so i figured i'd ask to make sure i fix the right thing.
    i was having the socket corroding issue that seems to plague all of us, so instead of paying someone $100 per side, i decided to try to fix it myself. went to autozone, bought two new sockets, heat shrink and bulb grease. clipped off the old sockets, replaced them w/new ones, put in new bulbs and packed it with bulb grease. when i checked them last night, both turn signals worked. i wake up this morning, start the car, and both arrows on the dash are lit up and the turn signals won't work. wtf? again, they worked last night. any suggestions? oh, i have a '99 TA.

black
    2002 WS6

Try changing the flasher

Black
    1999 Pontiac

i will thanks. i'm starting to think i have a short somewhere though. when the headlights aren't on, the turn signals work, but the lights on the instrument panel are very dim. when the turn signal is on, the lights on the instrument panel flash with the turn signals.
    when the headlights are on, all the lights on instrument panel are lit up, including the arrows for the turn signals.

black
    2002 WS6

yep, something got crossed, double check all the repairs you ddi to make sure that all wire are going to wher they should and all grounds are good, I have yet to look at the wiring in detail on these cars, but my guess is that something got crossed.

black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

What is the Autozone part number and what did they cost. Do the new sockets clip into the housing like the original ones?
    I need to replace mine, and cant find a direct replacement except from the dealer at about $50 a socket.

I would suggest soldering the connections to insure a good weather tight and vibration free connection. Kind of tight under there to get all that done though.

So many mods so little..$ KahliFornyaKing's Avatar

Navy Blue Metalic
    2000 Z-28

Yeah and its a good idea to use a multimeter when you are rewireing something to make sure you are getting the correct voltages and to make sure you dont have too much resistance from corrosion or something else like a broken or frayed wire.

Also i think one of my turn signals blinks faster than the other one, do you think my flashers are going out?

Black
    1999 Pontiac

i'm not sure what the part number is, but autozone carried them, and they were only like $8. the ones i got use different bulbs (3157 i believe), but the rest of the socket looks identical.

Thread Information