Another Trans AM that Wont Start. Please Help ASAP

so i go out tonight to get in my car and go eat, and damn it wont start. it ran fine last night when i parked it, sat all day and nothing. battery is good, sitting where it always does on the volt gauge. best way i can describe it is, its like trying to start the car without the clutch pressed in. i figure its either vats or a clutch safety switch. only reason im doubting VATS is because my security light doesnt stay on, it comes on like normal when i first turn the key and all the lights flash on, stays on for like 5-10 seconds, and goes off, just like normal. i got my girlfriend to sit in the car and turn the switch and i could hear the power hit the fusebox, and even the power hit the starter cause i can hear a slight click down towards the starter. anybody have any clues? where would the clutch safety switch be? this is the first time this car has ever done anything like this.

after searching ls1.com and ls1tech i find out about the VATS stuff, continued below is after i go mess with the car for almost an hour in the dark.

ok so i check the ohms of the key, put the key in the ignition and checked the ohms at the plug, both are the same or within 2. ohm in a triple digit number. ive been told that as long as its within 7% or something like that its fine. i unplugged my negative cable for 10 minutes and plugged it back in still nothing. i also found this laying on my floormat. only place it couldve came from is under the dash, anybody know what it is or where it came from? looks like it use to be a little plastic mount.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

say you can hear the starter click? If so it might just be a sticking starter solenoid. Get under there and knock the piss out of the starter with something and see if it starts. The clutch switch is under the pedal and is cheap to replace. Also look at your starter relay. That clutch switch is pretty common to go out but what throws me is the click at the starter....that kinda makes me think it's the solenoid sticking. Easy to test by banging the starter.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Also, since you have a "click" at the starter, it would not hurt to check both terminals on your battery and the lead wire to your starter to ensure that they are tight. You can also hook up a set of jumper cables as a quick test. Even though you have voltage, that does not necessarily mean that there is sufficient amperage to turn your engine over.

fixed, bypassed the clutch safety switch and it fired right up. going to be replaced and hopefully stays fixed.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

So what is the little white plastic jiggy thingy?

i have no clue. never found where it went. doesnt seem important i dont guess.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

it is a harness plug retainer.... just makes it harder to unplug accidentally.

Thread Information