AMSOIL pricing options

Well I'm a preferred customer but after running some numbers I'm not so sure it's the right direction to take.

While ordering I found out Amsoil charges tax even though the order is out of state (Nevada) because they have individual dealers throughout each state. Then toss in shipping and it becomes a...so-so deal. Not what I was expecting. Here are some numbers.

Amsoil lists retail price per quart for a particular line I'm looking at....$9.10 a quart. Subtract 23-25% for preferred customer and that comes to $6.83 a quart using the high percentage. Throw in 10% Arizona sales tax, plus the shipping which varies quite a bit depending on how much you order, and I start getting up pretty damn close to the retail price again.

I can buy this same oil at the local Napa for the same retail price of $9.10 a quart. However since I frequent there several times a week they give me the "Goodguy Garage" account which knocks 10% off the bill. That pretty much covers the taxes on the bill.

Soooo, I'm not 100% sure that paying $20 to be a preferred customer is going to pay for itself. I was sold on it until I found out they charge "out of state" taxes on your order. I called and left a message with the local dealer here to see if there are better options to take, maybe buying from him. But our last conversation he mentioned marking up the prices if I drove over there to buy anything. Guess I'll have to compare those prices too and make a decision.

Anyway, just tossing this out there for those that might be considering. Feel free to share any of your experiences with this.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well I'm a preferred customer but after running some numbers I'm not so sure it's the right direction to take.

While ordering I found out Amsoil charges tax even though the order is out of state (Nevada) because they have individual dealers throughout each state. Then toss in shipping and it becomes a...so-so deal. Not what I was expecting. Here are some numbers.

Amsoil lists retail price per quart for a particular line I'm looking at....$9.10 a quart. Subtract 23-25% for preferred customer and that comes to $6.83 a quart using the high percentage. Throw in 10% Arizona sales tax, plus the shipping which varies quite a bit depending on how much you order, and I start getting up pretty damn close to the retail price again.

I can buy this same oil at the local Napa for the same retail price of $9.10 a quart. However since I frequent there several times a week they give me the "Goodguy Garage" account which knocks 10% off the bill. That pretty much covers the taxes on the bill.

Soooo, I'm not 100% sure that paying $20 to be a preferred customer is going to pay for itself. I was sold on it until I found out they charge "out of state" taxes on your order. I called and left a message with the local dealer here to see if there are better options to take, maybe buying from him. But our last conversation he mentioned marking up the prices if I drove over there to buy anything. Guess I'll have to compare those prices too and make a decision.

Anyway, just tossing this out there for those that might be considering. Feel free to share any of your experiences with this.
    You know I could buy it for you and have it shipped to you since I don't have to pay tax since I am a dealer lol. Although I am not sure if they drop ship.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 03-28-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Nice of you to offer, I appreciate that. Before we go that far, I'm waiting to hear back from the local dealer whom I called and left a message. Wouldn't you know he called back while I was out in the shop working and I missed it. He said I had some valid questions in my message and he wanted to talk to me about that and explain some options. Said he would call back at 1pm tomorrow. Sooo, after I hear from him I'll report back and figure out a direction to go. Maybe he'll make things more clear and I can get the ball rolling.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I get mine from a long time friend who gives me smoking deals on everything I need except Amsoil. He said there is no room in the price for what he has in it. They have been a long time dealer and he is thinking of dropping it. That would make me sad as I don't know anyone in town who sells it.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Black/ Silver

Nice of you to offer, I appreciate that. Before we go that far, I'm waiting to hear back from the local dealer whom I called and left a message. Wouldn't you know he called back while I was out in the shop working and I missed it. He said I had some valid questions in my message and he wanted to talk to me about that and explain some options. Said he would call back at 1pm tomorrow. Sooo, after I hear from him I'll report back and figure out a direction to go. Maybe he'll make things more clear and I can get the ball rolling.
    Just let me know.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I signed up for the Amsoil package not long after I joined the site... but then never utilized it enough to make up the difference.

Will,
    Never heard from him yesterday at 1pm, and haven't heard from him all day today either. Guess I'll give him another call tomorrow and see what happens.

Jeff,
    I'm told it takes about $100 worth of product to start to see a return, which honestly doesn't take that long to add up. I've only bought enough oil at Napa for 2 cars and already spent about $110 on just oil (not counting filters). With a D-max that holds 10 quarts, and 8 other cars to change, I can rack up $300-$400 in oil a year in no time flat. And that's just changing all of them once. From there, 8 of them get once a year, so 2 daily drivers get routine changes, as well as the D-max. That's 3 of them that will be changed more than once a year.

However as it stands (from info in my first post) I'm not seeing any savings from the info I have at this point because Amsoil charges tax and shipping. I don't want to give up yet though, I need to get ahold of the dealer here and see what other options I have.

Right now at this point the only advantage I've found dealing with Amsoil directly is that I can buy in bulk, either 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon jugs (which I planned to do) Napa only sells in quarts. It's still not saving me any money though.

Hang on and I'll show you the numbers I have in just a minute....

Okay here ya go....follow along

I just bought 10-40 premium protection at Napa with my Good Guy discount and I paid $8.29 a qt. (I don’t always get the discount though depending on who waits on me)

With my preferred customer discount at Amsoil I can get 4…. 1 gallon jugs of 10-40 and 4…1 gallon jugs of 20-50 (same type Napa sells). The price is $115 and $117 for each. That’s $232. Sales tax here is 8.68%, so that is $20.13 which brings us up to $252.13. Those 8 gallons weigh 64 lbs. Shipping is .32 cents a lbs. for a preferred customer rate. So shipping is $20.48. Now I’m up to $272.61 shipped to my door.

Take that number and divide by 32 quarts (8 gallons) and you get $8.51 a quart.

That’s also taking into account that there is a small amount saved at amsoil when you buy in those gallon jugs (vs buying quarts) I can’t buy the gallon jugs at Napa, only quarts are sold there. So even with the small amount saved buy going with gallon jugs, somehow this still comes out higher per quart than what I’m buying at Napa (as long as I get my discount there, that doesn’t always happen) Just think if I priced it at Amsoil buying just quarts, it would be even worse.

Soooo Napa = $8.29 a quart

Amsoil = $8.51 a quart. Where's the savings This doesn't take into account that I've spent $20 to get this preferred customer account with "SUPPOSED" deals.

That's what I want to talk to the local dealer about. Apparently he has some answers for me I'm anxious to hear.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-30-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Math never lies.

You have me beat by one vehicle on the routine oil changes, FBJ.

Ya know if you subtract either the tax or the shipping they are dinging me for, then it becomes a savings and brings it down to about $7.87 a quart. Amazing the difference just $20 makes. If they just didn't charge for one of those......

Black/ Silver

Ya know if you subtract either the tax or the shipping they are dinging me for, then it becomes a savings and brings it down to about $7.87 a quart. Amazing the difference just $20 makes. If they just didn't charge for one of those......
    Too bad there isn't free shipping for orders over a certain amount.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Talk to you friends at NAPA and see if they will order gallon jugs for you.

If they would it should be even cheaper and then you could get off the fence.

Thread Information