Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Amsoil Bypass System

Got her installed today.
    Got the BMK-23 and the sandwich adapter from our fellow member CompSyn (Thanks man)
    Installed it in the Silverado 5.3 we just put the cam in. The Silverado had a spare battery plate on the drivers side so I ran the hoses from the sandwich adapter under the engine up to there. Built a simple bracket and mounted the dual filter kit there. It is rock solid and easily accessible to change filters.

Followed the instructions. Kit comes with everything including tie wraps.

The idea behind this is to filter down to 2 microns. Regular oil filters filter down to 20-25 microns. Of course it is the 2-5 micron stuff that wears your motor down. Super fine grit. So one location gets the regular full flow filter and the other gets a Amsoil Eabp-90 2 micron filter. Big sum bitch. It will last me for a year or better with me just changing the full flow filter from time to time.

I had just changed oil about 1000 miles ago and it was dark on the dipstick already. I dropped the filter and installed the sandwich adapter, ran the hoses, pre filled the filters and added another make up quart for the loss while changing the filter to the adapter. Fired it up....had the same oil pressure I always have. 45lbs or so. Check for any leaks. Drove it to town and back. Shut it off and let it sit while I put up the tools etc. Went to check the oil and I couldn't see it on the stick. I thought WTF! I slid the stick back in and this time I took the stick in the shop under the light and there it was. A hair over the full mark. Clean as brand new oil.

So this system does what Amsoil sez it does. It cleans your oil to the max.

I also get 2 more quarts total oil capacity for a new oil sump of 8 quarts.

I highly recommend you guys check this out.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow of the install. Too dark right now.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Got her installed today.
    Got the BMK-23 and the sandwich adapter from our fellow member CompSyn (Thanks man)
    Installed it in the Silverado 5.3 we just put the cam in. The Silverado had a spare battery plate on the drivers side so I ran the hoses from the sandwich adapter under the engine up to there. Built a simple bracket and mounted the dual filter kit there. It is rock solid and easily accessible to change filters.

Followed the instructions. Kit comes with everything including tie wraps.

The idea behind this is to filter down to 2 microns. Regular oil filters filter down to 20-25 microns. Of course it is the 2-5 micron stuff that wears your motor down. Super fine grit. So one location gets the regular full flow filter and the other gets a Amsoil Eabp-90 2 micron filter. Big sum bitch. It will last me for a year or better with me just changing the full flow filter from time to time.

I had just changed oil about 1000 miles ago and it was dark on the dipstick already. I dropped the filter and installed the sandwich adapter, ran the hoses, pre filled the filters and added another make up quart for the loss while changing the filter to the adapter. Fired it up....had the same oil pressure I always have. 45lbs or so. Check for any leaks. Drove it to town and back. Shut it off and let it sit while I put up the tools etc. Went to check the oil and I couldn't see it on the stick. I thought WTF! I slid the stick back in and this time I took the stick in the shop under the light and there it was. A hair over the full mark. Clean as brand new oil.

So this system does what Amsoil sez it does. It cleans your oil to the max.

I also get 2 more quarts total oil capacity for a new oil sump of 8 quarts.

I highly recommend you guys check this out.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow of the install. Too dark right now.
    Was going to buy this for my car since I'm a dealer also and get it cheap

My car has always been spotless with PP and running Amsoil cleaner (Like Seafoam) once a year. Could eat off of it when I tore it down for H/C but I still love the idea of getting the 2 micron shit outta the motor. Good to know someone has tried it out and likes it. Makes my purchase even more justified
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quality stuff man. The fittings are like aircraft fittings. Them sum bitches aint gonna leak......ever. Top quality kit. Soild. It works.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

OK....Drove it all day today. Mebbe 100 miles. Went up on the ramps when I got home....checked for leaks.....no leaks....checked the level....full....this system makes the oil stupid clean. Like having a fresh oil change everyday.

silver
    2000 formula

waitin for pics sarge............

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I know. I'll buy batteries for my camera and do that today.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Installed the sandwich adapter. Straightforward.......middle is return to the engine...the outside is the out from the engine. Obviously important to get this straight

Now choose wherever you wish to put the unit. Most probably put it under the car on the chassis somewhere but I had this spare battery location on the Silverado under the hood.
    Amsoil gives you plenty of hose to put the unit wherever you need. When I change filters now I just slide a aluminum cookie sheet under the filter to catch any oil drip.

First filter (on left) is the full flow. Use a PH8 (or equivalent filter). I went from a little bitty filter to a much much larger filter. More oil and more cooling capability. The filter on the right is the Amsoil 2micron bypass filter. There is a ball/spring valve that regulates about 10% of the oil through the bypass filter. So about every 10 minutes running you have 100% of your oil go through the 2micron bypass filter. No change in oil pressure by the way.

Hoses are run under the engine and above the skid plate. Tie wrapped to the chassis and the fan bracket. No movement at all.

Hard to tell from this angle but there is about 4" clearance from the belts to the hoses.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

How long do you expect to be able to go before changing the full flow filter? Will you be doing a tear down after a period of time to inspect things too? I am very interested in this, and may look to do this on everything I've got - boat, car, trucks.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

People do this for a 2-3 reasons.
    1. Long OCI's
    2. Reduce engine wear significantly.
    3. Add sump capacity.

I can tell you the dipstick is absolutely gone from dark to golden amber in less than a 100 miles. This on oil with around 1100 miles on it. I am going to send in a UOA sample and get a baseline. Then change it out at 7500 miles and see where I am at.
    The real reason I did this is to eliminate the 5-7 micron particles that cause most of the engine wear. Full flow filters only filter down to 20'ish.
    Of course I will take the 2 quarts extra sump capacity.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And to answer the full flow filter change question.....I will say every 7500 miles. The ByPass filter every 25K miles.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I understood the main reason is to reduce engine wear and increase engine life, along with efficiency. Just curious as to the effective life of the filters. I am also curious to see if you experience a noticable increase in fuel mileage.

On another note - would a setup like this be beneficial in other areas as well - ie. transmissions or transfer cases?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Questions:

About how much time to install?

What was your total investment?

What oil change interval are you planning on?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I understood the main reason is to reduce engine wear and increase engine life, along with efficiency. Just curious as to the effective life of the filters. I am also curious to see if you experience a noticable increase in fuel mileage.

On another note - would a setup like this be beneficial in other areas as well - ie. transmissions or transfer cases?
    Many down at SWRI will argue we change oil filters too often. They advocate changing the oil filter every other oil change. Reasoning behind this is a oil filter is more efficient when it is partially loaded versus brand new. You will hear this same argument from K&N air filters. 7500-10,000 miles would be the max for me with a quality filter like Amsoil, KN, Fram XG etc. I would never go that far with a AC Delco. e-Core type filter.
    I track my MPG closely with the TCW3 exercise. Winter blend gas and 10% ethanol sucks balls.

Transmissions are not subject to the same internal combustion bypass products being introduced to the lubricant. Big issue with ATF is heat and not particle accumulation on moving parts. I do run a spin on trannie filter between my trannie cooler and the return line though......blowing up stalls it comes in handy

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Questions:

About how much time to install?

What was your total investment?

What oil change interval are you planning on?
    Firstly let me say this is not a stock 5.3L Chebby.
    H/C headers 3000 rpm stall.

About an hour and a half with me scratching my balls. 4 smoke breaks.
    About $250. Pay the $20 bucks for the PC and get the discount. CompSyn can hook you up.
    7500 miles then the oil analysis/particle count and tell me where I am at.
    I think I can do much more than that very easily frankly. SWRC will analyze the oil and tell me what is going on.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Jeff....if your looking for the return on investment it is fairly straightforward.
    If I even extend my OCI (Oil Change Interval) 30% it pays for itself in a year.
    This does not account for engine wear. I see that as more of a cost avoidance and not a ROI exercise frankly.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am interested in installing this system on our Suburban. I think it is the same motor you started with -- the 5.3 D.O.D. I need to peak under the hood again to see if it has the same spot open as in your truck as that looks to be the perfect place for the setup. Thanks for the info!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

My DOD got "deleted" for some reason

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I wouldn't mind doing the same and cranking up the power in ours, but too many other projects going on right now.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

I wonder if this would work on my intrepid with the 2.7. They have issues with sludge build up and blowing the engine due to it.

silver
    2000 formula

so what is the size of that bad boy.........wonder where it would fit under my hood

Thread Information