Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amsoil

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Amsoil

I was at a dyno day at a local shop and alot of the guys there were pushing amsoil and saying how much better it is and that they have conditioner that they will use to clean out alot of junk. anyone else use this stuff? ive never really looked into it

Amsoil makes good oil. However it's expensive. $8 a quart or more. I've never seen it in bulk for cheaper prices unfortunately. I did however see a vendor at a recent Super Chevy show selling for $4.99 a quart. I just wish the local stores that have it on the shelf would sell it that cheap. Wishfull thinking.

Napa sells it, and a local mom and pop store called 7th Avenue sells it up here. I've used their gear oil, but I don't change that often so it's easier to swallow the price tag.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

the mileage rating is what i was interested in plus the fact that my car will sit for 2 or 3 weeks before i drive it they said the synthetic wont drain to the bottom as much. the shop will do a change for like 120 bucks which is crazy high but if it lasts 25k miles ill be saving money.

I guess if you want to go that long on changes it would work for you.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Going 25k on the same oil scares me. I know they say you can, but i still stick to every 3k synthetic or not. I use a synthetic blend from Joe Gibbs in the T/A and change it every 2K or if it sees more track time then street I will change it sooner. The Tahoe get Valvoline Durablend and thats gets changed every 3-4K. In my opinion changing your oil regulary is cheap insurance.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I wouldnt go 25k on one change but i would be getting it changed maybe once a year because i dont put more 3 or 4k miles on a year. I just didnt know if amsoil was junk like royal purple

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Well that would be ok then, I never heard anything bad about amsoil.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I run Amsoil in manual transmissions and rears so far. Have not taken the plunge for engines or automatic transmissions. Our two LS powered automatics both run Penzoil Platinum and Castrol Synthetic Dex VI. I agree that it is great stuff, but really have no local source for it to make it convenient to purchase.

Well,,,,I wasn't going to say anything but since others chimed in about it.........There is no way I'd go 25,000 miles on oil changes on anything either. I don't care how good the oil is advertised. That would be more than 2 years in one car for me, and in some other cars it would be more than 6-7 years.

I've sent oil out to be annalized, and after 3,000 miles I find it to be okay, but I change it anyway, cheap insurance. I don't even trust an oil filter to go much past that reguardless what they advertise. I have several cars I change before they even hit 2,000 miles.
    Others I've heard have sent their oil out to be annalized and find that about 5-6,000 miles it shows signs of needing changed. So some stretch it that far.

I believe it depends on how hard you drive the car, and the difference between highway and city driving. Safest thing I could recommend is annalize your oil at different milage intervals and find out exactly when you should be changing your oil. I'd be surprised if you went much past 6-7,000 miles.

I don't mean to take anything away from Amsoil, I've heard nothing but good stuff about them, but I'll stick to regular change intervals.. I can buy Pennzoil Platnum in bulk (5 quarts in a jug) for $25 and a filter is another $5. That's a pretty cheap oil change so it's no big deal to me.

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    I wouldnt go 25k on one change but i would be getting it changed maybe once a year because i dont put more 3 or 4k miles on a year. I just didnt know if amsoil was junk like royal purple
    Ya know, I think I would faint if one of these oil threads did not have some DH bad mouthing Royal Purple.
    They just don't learn..
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Call me old school, but I have always used Mobil 1

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'm with FBJ, the oil gets changed in the 3,000 to 5,000 mile range (or less on our older cars that don't see anywhere near that many miles a year) no matter what the manufacturer recommends for a change interval.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Sometimes the t/a oil gets changed around 1000 miles depending on how bad I'm beating on it lol

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

just so everyone knows i would never go 25k miles or anywhere near that without a change. as i said earlier my car doesnt see but 3k miles or so a year and sits for a few weeks at a time and i was thinking of changing because its supposed to stay in the motor and seals better and not work its way to the bottom and drain from sitting so long.

Interesting reason David. I have no info on that, never heard of an oil that stayed up top while sitting for long periods of time. I'd be interested in hearing about it though. I have alot of cars that sit around here, (sometimes too long)

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Amsoil makes some really great products and seem to stand behind it. Although it is a little more expensive. Everyone has their own opinions on which fluids (brands/types) to use. I would say find something your comfortable with and stick to it.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I guess I'm old school as well. I have been using Mobil 1 as long as it has been on the marker and I have never had an oil related failure. I mean that yes I have blow up engines, transmissions and rears but it was always my fault. Too many rpm's. For the money you can't beat Mobil 1 and Fram filters.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

firebird, I was sceptical when I heard it also, i wish there was some information comparing drain times, but then again its alot cheaper to go start the car once a week than switch to a much more expensive oil

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I'm with FBJ, the oil gets changed in the 3,000 to 5,000 mile range (or less on our older cars that don't see anywhere near that many miles a year) no matter what the manufacturer recommends for a change interval.
    Thats the intelligent way to do it..

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    There is no way I'd go 25,000 miles on oil changes on anything

I don't go 5k on synthetic either. Or buy into the high mileage sales ploy.

Unless you live in an extremely high traffic area, LA or NY, I would change it every 3k no matter what. I've had the color still be alittle amber/clear at 3k, and sometimes be pitch black using the same product (this is the Jeep, not to mention I've used sh1t oil with it and it has +220k on it)

Changing your oil is the single most important maintenance on your vehicle, I wouldn't recommend being lazy on it. Swapping out alittle early before it has fully broken down isn't going to hurt anything.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 11-06-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Thread Information