The name says it all !!!FAST!!!'s Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Alternator problems...again! (Long story)

So here is the whole story. Christmas last year. Home in Illinois to see family and friends. My power steering pump goes out. I buy new pump and change it out. In order to change it out you have to pull the pulley and then press it on the new unit. With the new unit in I drive back to Cali with no problems. A couple weeks later my check gauges lite comes on and I notice my car overheating, the amps are in the red, my TCS and ABS are inop, and soon all the gauges die and my engine goes into "limp home" mode (high RPMs). I get it towed home and find out the serp belt came off because the power steering pump pulley cracked around the shaft and cocked allowing the belt to come off and cut a groove into the reservior spilling fluid onto the alternator. $160 later I replace the pulley and reservior then the alternator goes out. $130 later I replace the alternator. A month later the alternator goes out again and I think it was just a bad alternator. Change it out again and it goes out a couple weeks later. This time I start poking around and find the serp belt is riding on the power steering pump pulley inside lip. I adjust it, start it up and immediatley the blet jumps back onto the lip. I rent a pulley install tool from Kragen and the pulley slides back on to the shaft more. Change out the alternator this weekend and think that everything will be fine now. I thought that the alts were going out because the extra tension caused by the riding on the power steer pump lip. My alternator died today??? Could it be that the belt stretched and now doesnt have enough tension? I looked and the belt was turning the alternator maybe not fast enough? I also had to make a repair to the wire from the connector that goes to the alternator. Could it be that? I guess it could be anything. Anyone know where I can get a replacement connector for the alt? Not sure auto parts store will carry that. They don't even carry the connector for my head lights.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

damn,that sucks.belt COULD be the problem,but i doubt it.www.rockauto.com might have the connector,i've used them before and been pleased.good luck,and don't buy a alternator from auto zone,i did a few weeks ago and it is not putting out enough volts,so i'll have to take it off again and exchange it for a alleged good one.i feel your pain.

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Actually that website helped alot. I think I may have found the connector. Although it has me concerned now. When i repaired my conncetor it only had one wire on the connector. The connectors on that site all have four wires. On mine the other 3 spaces were plugged with little rubber plugs. I wonder if that will make a difference. Anyway thanks for your help. And good luck with your situation also.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

should be no problem,just de-pin the wires you are not going to use and splice in the one you are going to use.thanks,i'm not looking forward to removing and installing that alt.again.lol about the headlight connector,local chevy store wanted like $35 bucks for one,i drove to a 4th gen f-body salvage yard in calera,al and got one for free,it was used but in very good shape.
    Last edited by 02transamce; 06-28-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

This is a fact of life when it comes to remand alts. usually a person will go through 2 to 4 replacement alts to get one that works right. It has gotten better in recent years but just 6 to 8 years ago I always had that problem when having to change alts on cars. 9 times out of 10 its just a bad regulator in the remand units but who wants to pay 400 bucks for a new A/C delco?

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

yeah,damn near dropped the phone when the parts guy at the dealer said $416.00 for a alternator!

RED
    2002 FORMULA

I have mine rebuilt. When I checked for truck wanted 300. ,had rebuilt at local shop for 60.00. Couple of years ago needed one for my Fiero. Cost 200.00 at store, had rebuilt for 20.00.

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Quote Originally Posted by rideon1200 View Post
    I have mine rebuilt. When I checked for truck wanted 300. ,had rebuilt at local shop for 60.00. Couple of years ago needed one for my Fiero. Cost 200.00 at store, had rebuilt for 20.00.
    I will keep that in mind. Just replaced it again today. I pulled it and had them throw it on the tester and sure enough it was bad.

pewter
    2000 camaro z28

okay i need your help !!! FAST !!!
    so i basically had the same exact problem as you dont wanna go int to details
    but can you please send me the link to the connector you got?
    the belt ripped too and i think i might have took the connector with it as well,
    i got a new battery new alternator new belt ! and now the problem is the car wont stay on! is that connector necessary??? how much is it and how hard is it to instal

Thread Information