pewter
    99 Trans Am

Unhappy Alternator hand going to discharge until shifts.

I put a new alternator on my trans about a month ago and I have noticed that on hard acceleration the charge hand goes to the left and stays there until the trans shifts, is this normal or is this something that is going on with this alternator? I have never noticed if it was doing this before the replacement or could this be normal?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's odd. Sounds like a connection or ground issue. Can you verify voltages with a DVOM?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

the alternator is charging right at 14 volts but once you nail the throttle it goes to 12.5 and stays until the trans shifts ,it does it when the trans down shifts on hard accelaration.I replaced the alternator a month ago and broke the small red wire that plugs into the top of the alternator, I put the wire back together, but I didn't notice if it was doing this when I installed it because I don't drive it that much.Could this wire be the reason for this and is this wire a ground or a hot wire? I noticed it had stopped charging the other day and I felt that the red wire was the reason because I had just twisted the wire together and taped it. redid the wire and it now drops voltage when I nail it and comes back to 14 after it shifts.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 05-08-2015 at 12:32 AM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Have you tried revving the car while parked with a voltmeter to see if it still does it?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

yes it did before, but I wiil check it again now that I repaired the wire that was broke when I first installed the alternator, it only does it when I really get into it, other than that everything is normal, for some reason the car seems to be making more power than it has barking the tires when it shifts after a hard or mild acceleration, maybe it's just in my mine.I put on a new fan belt when I installed the alternator, do you think the belt could be slipping at hard acceleration and once it shifts it stops? I think I will be putting the old belt back on and see what happens.I will be letting you know what it does.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If the belt was slipping so bad that the alternator quits charging - you would either hear or smell it.

Thread Information