slowly working my way up Chicago Camaro's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Camaro

Alright, where am I at?

okay, I finally got the money together to do the next mod which is my transmission. I'm looking to go flt stage 3... It has a transgo shift kid, deep pan, and 24000 b&w transcooler... I wanted to add 3.73s in the rear but the budget came up. I want to know where to go next.. Should I give a $hit about the gears, or should I start working on the suspension? Ultimately I'm going h/c later down the road, I want to know if I'm the on the right track for all the peliminary mods.

I'll be taking the car to Morrocco to see what my times are at now. Hopefully I didn't lose any time from my last mods...

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Befor you dig into your transmission i would invest in a 12 bolt due to the fact that your rear is just a ticking time bomb. Also what other mods do you have? Sub frame connectors are also a must.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter
    2000 Camaro

Interesting... I wouldn't think that a A4 could kill the 10 bolt. I was thinking about getting a twelve bolt, maybe with the gears, and maybe a different driveshaft, but I heard 10 bolts can hold up if it's A4. I also heard that the twelve bolts add some weight.

I can see the benefits of having a strong rear, but if the 10 bolt can hold up I don't really see the need of replacing it. I don't know... what are your opinions?

Maybe I should hold off on the gears and do the suspension. My car already does the shimmy shake at WOT even when it's hot outside. Maybe it is time to do some suspension and what the hell! Tires too!

BTW here's what I got so far for mods:

Pewter
    2000 Camaro

mods
    pewter z28 strippa a4 2.73. min mods: lid, maf, bellows. kooks lt 1 3/4 stepped 1 7/8 headers to td race magnums. Looking for shifting: next up trans and vig converter 3600 to 3800!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

well i lost my stock rear at around 370 rwhp and some drag radials but hey, sometimes they last and sometimes they dont. Your suspension is a key point for handling and if you decide to take it to the track just make sure you do supporting mods for where you want your car to be.
    J

White
    98 Trans Am

I replaced my with 4.10s and am on my second crush sleeve since...it's going out again too. I wouldn't waste money on gears again if you plan on adding power adders...that my opinion though.
    4" Stroker Crank/4340 H Beam Rods/Forged Pistons/File to fit Plasma Moly Rings/Patriot S2 LS6 heads/Harland Sharp rockers/SLP Lid/Smooth Bellowes/Comp 232/234 595/598 112 lsa/chrome-moly push rods/LS1 Edit/LS6 intake/Spec3 clutch/Fidenza aluminum flywheel/4.10s/MAC mid-lengths/MAC ORY/SLP catback

Pewter
    2000 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    ... Your suspension is a key point for handling and if you decide to take it to the track just make sure you do supporting mods for where you want your car to be.
    J
    That's what I wanted to hear, but after I do those suspension mods, you guys have me thinking of getting a 12bolt when I get those gears, and what the hell maybe a light but strong driveshaft.

Are you fellas running on an A4? Will a 12 bolt crap out even on a A4? It's not like I'm going to take her to the track everyday and run the crap out of it. It's my dd and a once in while weekend warrior. I guess your right... It's better to be safe then sorry.

Thread Information