Red
    1998, A4, T-TOP, Trans Am

Already Thinking of Selling

So I had my car for a little over a month and I am already thinking of selling my TA. It just seems one problem after another. I understand the car is 10 years old and I have owned nothing but older cars until I purchased the Fusion for the wife. What is driving this is I just "fixed" the passenger side headlight gear one week ago with the aluminum gear and it is already f.u.b.a.r. I use my headlights every night so I know the new gear was working, but now I turn on the headlights and it is back to it's old bag of tricks. The passenger side one won't even open though, but still makes an irritating noise as it sits there. I haven't had a chance to completely investigate what the hell happend because I noticed it today as I got home and was getting ready to go to bed for night shift.

On another note I some managed to blow 3 speakers this weekend. I put in after markets and it sounds like crap. So after I get back from this TDY I am re-wiring all the speakers so all 6 1/2's are together and the trunk one's by themselves and having the trunk panels stiffend up and insulate the inside and I am putting something back there for bass.

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

thats blasphemy. i've owned my car about 9weeks and after the third week i blew a rod bearing because of low oil pressure and running hard one morning on the way to work. i sent the car in to get a rebuild and it was initially scheduled to be 2 weeks but because of problems it ended up be six weeks. i just got my car back yesterday and i wouldn't dream of selling it. between my sounds, rims, accesories, and the rebuild i'm already in seven grand easy thats not including the car. but thats what i wanted and you have to pay to play, especially with the big boys.

Red

I know all about paying and playing. I did it on my old car when I was stationed in Okinawa. I had with all parts/labor/price of the car easily 45K. The car was only 4K. I don't have money or time to be fixing the car like I used to in Oki either. I am just really irritated at the fact that I fix one thing, upgrade another and the one thing I fixed is broke again and the upgrade didn't give the results quite as planned and when I purchased the car it was only like 3 things I needed to fix but it is like I take 2 steps forward and then take three steps back and 1 step forward and 3 steps back. I don't want to pay to play with this car either cause it is my daily driver and just want it to get better mileage and 40 miles to 1/4 of a tank and trust me that is not with my foot in the pedal either. I live on a military base and the fastest speed limit is 35mph on the main base and 15 mph in my housing and these cops here don't have anything to do like the ones over seas so if you go 2 over you get a ticket and yes they are that anal. My airman I superivse got one for 38 in a 35.

Hey there I know what it is like to buy a car that you think is in GREAT shape I got a 02 TA with 23 Thousand and one of the best things i did was to buy a after market warranty that was one of the best things ever it was about 2000 but covers the car 5 yrs and 75 thousand miles right now after having my car 6 months it had about 3000 thousand dollars worth of work i just bring it back to the dealership and they take care of the care for me call this number 877 739 8363 ext 1142 Chaz Wood CWood@smartautowarranty.com so far it covered so much more then i would think it would cover ,they did a oil leak in the pan covered everything yes even the 5 Quarts of oil at 10.50 a quart and a new oil filter, total cost of job 895, i also need a window motor covered 450. need real sail panal speaker covered 300 in total about 125 for the speakers plus labor did a knock sending unit was told that was about 900 covered everything and i have 4 1/2 yrs to go yet and alot more miles if you do call him let me know what happens

SmartAutoWarranty.com

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what were the brand and ohm's of the aftermarket speakers you put in? I'm no audio expert by any means but if I recall correctly the stock monsoon is 2 ohms and you can't just throw speakers at it. Hard to find 2 ohm speakers. Maybe post in the audio section on this specific issue and some guys there can give you a hand getting it squared away.

Did you do the gear swap yourself and was it the franker brass gear you put in? Check the back plate that you epoxied on. If you didn't give that epoxy plenty of time to set up it'll let that backing plate come off.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Little shit is going to happen man, you cant let it bother you. Its the price we pay for driving 10 year old muscle cars. Fix it and go on.

I agree with Hutch,,,,not to mention those issues sound pretty minor to me. It's not like the car is leaving you standed every week costing you huge tow bills

Any 10 year old car is going to nickle and dime you, no matter what it is.

It's best to stick it out and hang on to it. Nice thing about fixing little things yourself is once you get the bugs worked out you'll know what you have after a while. Rather than buy another used car with a bunch of unknowns,,,which is usually full of other peoples screw ups anyway,,hard to find an unmolested car nowadays,,,you'll get it straightened out.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what were the brand and ohm's of the aftermarket speakers you put in? I'm no audio expert by any means but if I recall correctly the stock monsoon is 2 ohms and you can't just throw speakers at it. Hard to find 2 ohm speakers. Maybe post in the audio section on this specific issue and some guys there can give you a hand getting it squared away.

Did you do the gear swap yourself and was it the franker brass gear you put in? Check the back plate that you epoxied on. If you didn't give that epoxy plenty of time to set up it'll let that backing plate come off.

It was Pioneer speakers. I also changed out the cd player to my kenwood excelon X990 that I used to run in my 180sx. I put it in because I no longer have any of my cd's because i put all my music on my ipod and I already had an ipod adapter for my kenwood.

As far as the gear. I did get it from franker, it was an aluminum one. I put the gear in and put the epoxy on last Sunday and clamped it down for 24 hours and still didn't use the car until tuesday. I didn't get to look at it today because I had to wake up early to cut my grass and then went back to sleep after showering. I am just aggrivated with it. I am sure it will pass. I am just probably stressed about the upcoming TDY next week.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Yeah.... believe me I know about the problems. I've replaced my alternator about 5 times since September, replaced the power steering pump 3 times (Power steering line is leaking now....), replaced the clutch, replaced the pilot bearing.... yeah... and I've only had the car a year.... on THURSDAY!!! OH... and the rack is leaking....

Ya,,,these types of cars see a hard life too. Alot of kids get ahold of these things and beat the living snot out of them. You can't expect a car to be completely trouble free with that kind of abuse. It's hard telling what previous owners have put these things through,,,especially a 6-speed car.

I remember going to the track when these cars first came out. Every weekend I would see LT and LS 4th gens lined up in droves down the pit lane.

I looked at my father and we both said at the same time,,,,"Boy you sure don't want to buy one of these cars used!!!" then we laughed as we were thinking the same thing,,, That was back when these cars will still mass produced so buying used wasn't your only option. Now it's a different story of course.

So far McCool, it sounds as though they are minor issues, nothing mechanical or very costly, thats a good thing.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

set it on fire... collect the insurance money...

Black
    98 Trans Am

Do what I do....when somthin' breaks, and it piss's me off....I just walk about ten feet away....turn around...and just STARE at her....*sigh*....and all that bad ol' anger just melts away......!

Red

Quote Originally Posted by IronBird View Post
    Do what I do....when somthin' breaks, and it piss's me off....I just walk about ten feet away....turn around...and just STARE at her....*sigh*....and all that bad ol' anger just melts away......!
    I used to do that but I would light up a cigarette, but since I quit back in December it just kind of festers.

I figured out what was wrong withthe headlight. Even though I clamped it for 24 hours, re-installed it, and waited another24 hours before I used the head light the cover still came off. I thought I cleaned the edges and I used the whole packet of epoxy on it and it was oozing out the sides. So I am going to re-do it and live it clamped and zip tied while I am TDY for a month. Hopefully I can get some good info in my other stereo thread about the speakers.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Check out the epoxy from home depot or something that has a great bond strength and such. And as far as mileage goes, ANY a4 ive ever owned has gotten shitty gas mileage. Thats why I love banging the gears in my M6. And as far as walking away do what I do...... Crack open an ice cold Mt Dew and let stress melt away.......

GOOSE FRABBA!!!!

White
    99Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1ya View Post
    thats blasphemy. i've owned my car about 9weeks and after the third week i blew a rod bearing because of low oil pressure and running hard one morning on the way to work. i sent the car in to get a rebuild and it was initially scheduled to be 2 weeks but because of problems it ended up be six weeks. i just got my car back yesterday and i wouldn't dream of selling it. between my sounds, rims, accesories, and the rebuild i'm already in seven grand easy thats not including the car. but thats what i wanted and you have to pay to play, especially with the big boys.
    YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY ITS MY MADO

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by McCool318 View Post
    So I had my car for a little over a month and I am already thinking of selling my TA. It just seems one problem after another. I understand the car is 10 years old and I have owned nothing but older cars until I purchased the Fusion for the wife. What is driving this is I just "fixed" the passenger side headlight gear one week ago with the aluminum gear and it is already f.u.b.a.r. I use my headlights every night so I know the new gear was working, but now I turn on the headlights and it is back to it's old bag of tricks. The passenger side one won't even open though, but still makes an irritating noise as it sits there. I haven't had a chance to completely investigate what the hell happend because I noticed it today as I got home and was getting ready to go to bed for night shift.

On another note I some managed to blow 3 speakers this weekend. I put in after markets and it sounds like crap. So after I get back from this TDY I am re-wiring all the speakers so all 6 1/2's are together and the trunk one's by themselves and having the trunk panels stiffend up and insulate the inside and I am putting something back there for bass.
    shoulda bought a z28!!! no pop up head lights

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Hey, the good thing about when things break is you have an excuse to go with better parts. My LS1 blew so I installed an LS6. My tranny went so I added a stall. Maybe my seats will mess up so I can add racing seats. Every cloud has a silver lining........as long as you can afford the silver. If you sell it you'll regret it everytime you pass one on the road.

Thread Information