Are all LS1 TA's WS6??

Hello everyone, I will be purchasing my LS1 Trans Am this weekend so I thought it would be a good idea to create an account bc I will be needing a lot of help with decision making and you guys give excellent advice. So, my 1st stupid question that most certainly won't be my last is, are all LS1 Trans Am's WS6? I ask because I am really looking to get an '01 Ram Air WS6, but a '99 with no Ram Air has caught my eye (lower mileage and price). I am unable to see the rear of the car to see the badging, but the car does not have the ram air hood. I will be looking at it tomorrow, but is there a "base" model of Trans Am?
    Also can you give me some basic insight on what year may be better than the other. I have 5 that I will be looking at (99-02) and are all automatic (daily driver and I get stuck in traffic all the time). For example, is there one year that may have a better transmission, or is there a year that has a common defect.
    Anyway, I appreciate the feedback from you guys and I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to become a member of the LS1 family!!

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome, Carl.

There are base model Trans Ams that do not have the ram air hoods. If you open the drivers side door, there will be a RPO code sticker on it. The will be a bunch of codes on it. If you see a WS6 code, then it is a WS6. If not, then it's a Trans Am.

As for years, some later models came with some LS6 componants, which improved performance slightly. As far as weaknesses, unfortunately all years are known to have the same weaknesses. Under stock power, most of these componants don't usually give problems - save the power window motors, VATS, or the BCM. Start adding power, and the weaker parts of the drivetrain will show themselves.

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We are all learning, some are just farther along.

Thank you for your input, that helped me a lot. I sort of figured there had to be a base model under the WS6. That will help me narrow down my decision to probably getting one of the 01 or 02 WS6's. I'm so pumped I can't even sleep!! haha

One more quick stupid question, what kind of oil do people usually use? I've seen a lot of people using Royal Purple, is that the way to go?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You can't sleep now.......just wait till it's yours It only gets better!

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by bigbomber5 View Post
    One more quick stupid question, what kind of oil do people usually use? I've seen a lot of people using Royal Purple, is that the way to go?
    No. No RP. Amsoil is a highly recommended brand, as well as Mobil 1. There is a sticky on it with some good info - http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...m-a-Oil-Junkie

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Pics please when you get it

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

For stock power 01 and 02 LS1's have the LS6 intake manifold. 02 has a slightly better exhaust manifold but both years are rated at 310 hp.

I use Castrol Syntech in the 02 and Castrol High Mileage on the 98 (it has 183,xxx on it now).

Whe the 67 was running I used regular old Valvoline 10W-40.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Alright, Amsoil it is. Thank you!
    I'll definitely post some pics for ya.
    I wish I had a '67 Camaro, whether it be in pieces or not. As I get older I would really like to get my hands on one of those 1st gen Camaros.
    Thanks for all the input so far, I should have been talking with you guys a long time ago
    <--- haha

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Op, don't exclude non-WS6 T/A's when shopping. If you are looking for a project car and have plans to mod it, you will most likely replace everything that made a WS6 a WS6. You can even get a the hood or better for cheaper then what a OEM Ram Air hood cost.

I got one (stock looking) and I haven't regretted it yet and I was looking for a Firehawk. I still want one, but I know with this T/A I am modding the hell out of it. I also have to some (very little) degree a sleeper in appearance. I've had many Mustangs and other T/A's and Camaros thought I was normal till I start the car up or blew by them.

Also don't fret over a car that is a Formula Firebird that has a LS1. Think of it as a trans Am stuck in a Firebirds body. Only major differences are the nose piece and the rear spoiler. Everything else is all T/A.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-11-2011 at 12:04 PM.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Buy the newest lowest mile TA or WS6 you can afford,its always better when you start with a fresh clean canvas.

The 01-02 cars are slightly quicker and dyno higher than the 98-99-00 cars.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

What everybody said i agree wtih. The 01-02s are slighty faster. The WS6 package is a ram air hood, 17" wheels, and some minor suspension mods. The basic TA has everything else the WS6 does. IMO if i was shopping all over again id find the cheapest, lowest mileage 01-02 TA or WS6 i could find. As for Oil Royal Purple has a bad rep on this site and is claimed to eat up the motor over time.. I personally use Pennzoil ultra and havent had any problems. Most likely if you see a trans am without the WS6 hood, then its not a ws6. People usually put a WS6 hood on a regular trans am but not vice versa unless it was wrecked or etc. Good luck with the buy!

I see where you guys are coming from when buying a regular TA as opposed to the WS6. If I was to go this route, what other hoods are out there besides the Raptor and the Ram Air hood? Personally I really like the Ram Air hood the most, so that would save me the hassle on finding one and putting it on.
    Speaking of getting a low mileaged TA, what would you guys consider being too high? I'm leaning towards buying one with 84,000 and that will be about the best I can do for the amount I can throw at it without breaking the bank too badly. It is bone stock and I will mod it up, but I'm not going to get too crazy with this (I say this now but lets see where I stand in 2 years haha).
    I want to start talking about mods and rims so badly, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. I need to get the TA first this weekend then see where that leaves me financially.
    Thanks again for all of your input. It is helping me out a great deal!!

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Mine had 120,000 when I got her.

The price was right though,and she's got good oil pressure and wasn't modded.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

84 isnt bad but its all on opinion of your liking and how in shape the car is... Me personally would shoot for something around 60 if i bought another one.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bigbomber5 View Post
    I see where you guys are coming from when buying a regular TA as opposed to the WS6. If I was to go this route, what other hoods are out there besides the Raptor and the Ram Air hood? Personally I really like the Ram Air hood the most, so that would save me the hassle on finding one and putting it on.
    Speaking of getting a low mileaged TA, what would you guys consider being too high? I'm leaning towards buying one with 84,000 and that will be about the best I can do for the amount I can throw at it without breaking the bank too badly. It is bone stock and I will mod it up, but I'm not going to get too crazy with this (I say this now but lets see where I stand in 2 years haha).
    I want to start talking about mods and rims so badly, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. I need to get the TA first this weekend then see where that leaves me financially.
    Thanks again for all of your input. It is helping me out a great deal!!

Hoods like headers, mufflers, and suspension depends on your taste.

Up untill just recently I was going to get a Mecham Hood. I like and still do, but I came across a different style that I like much more. WSQ hood form VFN. IMHO I think it is wicked evil looking. So that is what I plan on getting. I hope I can get it by Christmas. I can't post the link but here's a youtube video

With hoods you have many options.

You have WS6 clones, Firehawk Clones w/ or w/o extractors, VFN has Ram Air hoods that are 4" & 5" tall. Look around and get a feel for what you lilke. Remember it's your car. You are not going to please everyone and don't try.

Navy Blue Metallic

Also when it comes to miles I no longer care as long as I can see that the car was taken care of. You can have a car that has 200k and have it run better then a 60k car that was abused like hell.

Just realized that with certain mileage there is certain maintenance that you will need to expect to do. Example I got mine @ 108k, with the original clutch. I knew when I got her the first thing I needed to do was get a new clutch. When something breaks I just get an upgrade or invest in the parts that I was planning on getting and do it instead of just getting a OEM part (another example, I notice my springs were worn, so I got Hotchkins 1" drop in stead of OEM springs)

Also once the mod bug bites it is hard as hell to stop. Just saying....
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-12-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Very good points.
    I'll have to check out those hoods you mentioned.
    Thanks for the info!

Thread Information