Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

Aircraft blue fuel 110 octane

Question : Has anyone used this fuel ? It is a low lead. 93 octane is what they sell at the pump, Could you mix this and run it in our cars (say for drag racing) The other is if you mixed the two together do you think it would damage the motor because of the low lead content? What do you think the octane rating would be say mixed 30-70, 50-50 or above.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I believe that Aviation fuel has a high lead content which helps to cool the air cooled aircrft engine. Most of the private aircraft engines are air cooled engines, not water cooled engines. So, with a high lead content of the aviation fuel, it would not do well in our cars engine that was designed to run on lead free fuel.
    JEB

Awaiting Activation
    also, higher than 93 does pretty much nothing for a stock car, and is a waste of $$. If you have a turbo setup or something with big power then race gas will help.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Any lead will kill emission equipment (cats) so I would not attempt when it will not give you more power or speed.

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula

I tried a tank of 110 sunoco unleaded race fuel once, ran smoother but not
    much if any more power. Course, got slightly better gas mileage.

2000 Formula - 6spd & t-tops
    300,000 + smiles

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

Avaition fuel

Thanks for the reply, was just curious.

white
    2002 z28

is that the same as Turbo blue. thats whats here in MI. $5.25 gallon. and from what i heard the motor should only use one or the other for the whole history. 93-4 pump/ turbo blue

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Without even getting into how leaded fuel could damage your car, there is no reason to run that kind of octane unless you have FI or stratospheric compression. You actually want to run the LOWEST octane you can without any detonation as it burns easier and more efficiently...

Maple Red
    2002 Formula

It will destroy your cats among other things, since we are on the subject of gas who sells the best quality of gas? I always buy 91 or 93 but which company has the best quality of fuel? Qiucktrip/phillips extc.?

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by pilot13blackcat View Post
    It will destroy your cats among other things, since we are on the subject of gas who sells the best quality of gas? I always buy 91 or 93 but which company has the best quality of fuel? Qiucktrip/phillips extc.?
    You should probably start a thread called "Fuel Quality"... I know it has been discussed before. I like BP because they use Amoco fuels and I used to use Sunoco when they offered 94 octane.

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

91 octane is all they have around here that I can find. Does anyone know what companies offer 93 or above?

white
    2002 z28

sunoco 93-94

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

fuel

thanks half to see where a sunoco is around the st.louis area.

white
    2002 z28

sorrry to hijack this , but does anybody know when you go to the pump is it really 93 oct. or is it just the reg 87oct after the station putting a oct booster in it to make it higher.?? just heard dont know if true but seem s soo

and is there really 3-4 different tanks in a gas truck when there fillen up the stations ta nks

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    sorrry to hijack this , but does anybody know when you go to the pump is it really 93 oct. or is it just the reg 87oct after the station putting a oct booster in it to make it higher.?? just heard dont know if true but seem s soo

and is there really 3-4 different tanks in a gas truck when there fillen up the stations ta nks
    It really is separate compartments / tanks / gasoline blends inside the tanker. Gasoline blends differ in octane rating and the amount of detergent additive in the fuel - it's not worth it for the station owner to put an octane booster into 87 octane gas. However, it has been known for 87 octane gas to end up in the 93 octane underground tank.... and the guy dumping the fuel into the tank from the tanker if he's legit isn't the one doing it. The fill valves / caps are color coded for the different grades of gas - however, this doesn't stop the owner from rolling his own tanker in with off-brand gas. Also, all pump gas available now already has 10% ethanol in it - it's a cheap octane booster for the gas. It benefits the driver because you don't need to buy drygas any more, but you could have drivability issues with the gas in the summer. Also, many many years ago when Sunoco had "good" gas available at the pump, what is now Ultra was true 100+ octane racing fuel! Their pump was a "custom blend" pump which drew gas from 2 underground storage tanks, one high and one low octane. To get the gas you wanted, the pump would blend gas from the different tanks. A bit of trivia for you young 'uns out there: the pump itself used to have 2 spinning dials to represent the amount of high vs. low octane gas being mixed. Ultra used to even have a completely separate pump! Now, Sunoco sucks - Ultra used to be 94+ octane: now it's just their "Premium" gas @ 93 octane. In my area, "Super" is only 91-92 octane now; Super used to be the "Premium" gas @ 93 octane. Basically, you're getting screwed by Sunoco: you're essentially just paying more for what used to be their "Premium" octane gas. Most every other gasoline brands' "Premium" gas in my area is still 93 octane last time I looked, but that too could have easily changed. After all, did any of the gas companies make it known that they were already putting ethanol in the gas? There is no octane standard for "Premium" gas (it falls in a range - I think that anything 91 octane or above can be offered as "Premium") - it's only the highest octane that the gas company offers for sale at the pump. And, notice how the recent gas price increases aren't even being tied to the price of a barrel of oil, like the reason the oil companies gave last year for the price increases? GREED - it's the corporate & Wall Street's way of life. It's all about the dollar. They know that if you wanna play, you gotta pay.
    Last edited by Fastcar; 05-05-2007 at 06:12 AM. Reason: added stuff

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Yep. I used to mix Sunoco 94 (which was tested at about 95 octane) and "purple" avgas for my high-compression 452 Wedge in my 1970 Challenger. Anymore Sunoco isn't all that, so I've switched to Amoco/BP.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Rare99Firehawk View Post
    91 octane is all they have around here that I can find. Does anyone know what companies offer 93 or above?
    first of all, whats up man? secondly, only a few companies sell 91 octane around here, the majority sells 93. i have used mobil's 93 octane and i just prefer Shell v power over anything else. i know the debate rages on with the difference in power between the unleaded fuel octanes, but MY car seems to run smoother and have better low end power on v power as opposed to any other premium. i can infact feel the difference between 87 and 93 in MY car...

Quote Originally Posted by Rare99Firehawk View Post
    thanks half to see where a sunoco is around the st.louis area.
    not gonna find it if i was gonna bet. havent seen one in years. what part of st. louis???? if youre interested, click on the link in my sig, trying to get things going.
    thanks and good to e-meet ya
    oh great intentions, ive got the best of interventions...

Missouri and Central IL members come in!!!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48861

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    It really is separate compartments / tanks / gasoline blends inside the tanker. Gasoline blends differ in octane rating and the amount of detergent additive in the fuel - it's not worth it for the station owner to put an octane booster into 87 octane gas. However, it has been known for 87 octane gas to end up in the 93 octane underground tank.... and the guy dumping the fuel into the tank from the tanker if he's legit isn't the one doing it. The fill valves / caps are color coded for the different grades of gas - however, this doesn't stop the owner from rolling his own tanker in with off-brand gas. Also, all pump gas available now already has 10% ethanol in it - it's a cheap octane booster for the gas. It benefits the driver because you don't need to buy drygas any more, but you could have drivability issues with the gas in the summer. Also, many many years ago when Sunoco had "good" gas available at the pump, what is now Ultra was true 100+ octane racing fuel! Their pump was a "custom blend" pump which drew gas from 2 underground storage tanks, one high and one low octane. To get the gas you wanted, the pump would blend gas from the different tanks. A bit of trivia for you young 'uns out there: the pump itself used to have 2 spinning dials to represent the amount of high vs. low octane gas being mixed. Ultra used to even have a completely separate pump! Now, Sunoco sucks - Ultra used to be 94+ octane: now it's just their "Premium" gas @ 93 octane. In my area, "Super" is only 91-92 octane now; Super used to be the "Premium" gas @ 93 octane. Basically, you're getting screwed by Sunoco: you're essentially just paying more for what used to be their "Premium" octane gas. Most every other gasoline brands' "Premium" gas in my area is still 93 octane last time I looked, but that too could have easily changed. After all, did any of the gas companies make it known that they were already putting ethanol in the gas? There is no octane standard for "Premium" gas (it falls in a range - I think that anything 91 octane or above can be offered as "Premium") - it's only the highest octane that the gas company offers for sale at the pump. And, notice how the recent gas price increases aren't even being tied to the price of a barrel of oil, like the reason the oil companies gave last year for the price increases? GREED - it's the corporate & Wall Street's way of life. It's all about the dollar. They know that if you wanna play, you gotta pay.

thanks for the info , pretty good stuff to know.
    woow this thread is getting deep!! just started a thread in the camaro section about this

Quote Originally Posted by JEB View Post
    I believe that Aviation fuel has a high lead content which helps to cool the air cooled aircrft engine. Most of the private aircraft engines are air cooled engines, not water cooled engines. So, with a high lead content of the aviation fuel, it would not do well in our cars engine that was designed to run on lead free fuel.
    Aviation fuel is low lead. The actual name is LL-110 ( low lead-110 octane)
    99 Z28
    U.S. NAVY
    P-3 ORION
    FLIGHT ENGINEER
    ***IBNFE***
    FLY NAVY

white
    2000 pontiac trans am

Actually the blue avgas youre talking about is 100 octane rating with a low lead concentration. I fuel airplanes and we have run lawn mowers and cars on this stuff, I have not tried it in newer fi cars, but I know people that have run a mixture of avgas with no problems

Thread Information