Thread: airbag help

airbag help

Ok, 1998 z28

so when i got my car the airbags had deployed... I replaced the dash, steering wheel, and computer in the center console all with known good stuff. I am like 90% sure i then had the airbag light fixed, but i could be wrong. Car then sat for about 8 months while i was waiting for paint. finished the paint recently and wanting to start driving the car.. but now the airbag light is on. Scanned the car, scanner says " instrament panel failure" so i dont believe its either air bag.. and the light is on the dash, so its not failing.. my best guess is either something going on with the new brain i put in, or the cluster..

anyone have experience with repairing an fbody with air bad deployment repair? did i need to replace the cluster as well?

im gonna try pulling/reinstalling the fuse tonight.. but doubt that will have an effect.

help is apprecaited.

Triple White
    1998 Camaro SS convert

Do you have a copy of the 1998 service manual? If you don't, you can download a copy here. The SIR section explains the operation and diagnostic procedures using troubleshooting charts and DTC's that may help you find your problem. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I have not experienced this type of problem with any of my vehicles.
    Last edited by PeterPar; 05-11-2017 at 06:31 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You may need to have it plugged into a Tech II to be reset. Once deployed I believe the system sets a hard fault.

Triple White
    1998 Camaro SS convert

SIR General Diagnostic.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You may need to have it plugged into a Tech II to be reset. Once deployed I believe the system sets a hard fault.
    Jeff is right, you're going to need a scanner like the Tech 2 that is capable of reading SIR system DTC's. Some DTC's set will require replacing the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) to turn the Air Bag Light off. If those DTC's are not corrected before replacing the SDM, the same latching DTC's can be created on the new SDM that cannot be cleared.
    Last edited by PeterPar; 05-12-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Thread Information