Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FAS02SS

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

AIR System Removal

Does anyone havea link to pics of AIR system removal? I have a 02 SS and I want to get that crap off the car. I've already had the SES codes disabled but just need to remove the hardware.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's behind the drivers side head light. You access it from the bottom via a trap door. Only a few bolts and it drops right out. Take the tubing out, put block off plates on the manifolds if you still have them, and pull the fuse and relay and you're done. I think on the 02's there's a vacuum T fitting that you'll have to cap off. That T wasn't on my 98 but that set up changed from 98 to the later years.

FAS02SS

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Relay

Thanks, I've got a pretty good idea on what needs to come off but I don't know anything about a relay. Where is that? What about the wiring to the pump, just tape it off?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The wiring just has a plug on it so you can just zip tie that up somewhere. I typically will put a piece of electrical tape over the connector just in case I ever want to use it again. The relay and fuse are in the box under the hood. The lid to the box is labeled. Just pull that relay and fuse and that keeps the circuit from being hot.

OMGls1jz
    what do you gain when you remove the air system and egr?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

clean air for the intake charge... basicly...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by OMGls1jz View Post
    what do you gain when you remove the air system and egr?
    not much really. It cleans up the engine bay some and the pump may save you a couple of pounds. The egr mod might give you a tiny bit of something but it's not much. I would only do it if you want to clean up the looks of your engine bay. Install university has a write up on trimming the egr down where it protrudes into the intake that would be just as beneficial as removing it.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    not much really. It cleans up the engine bay some and the pump may save you a couple of pounds. The egr mod might give you a tiny bit of something but it's not much. I would only do it if you want to clean up the looks of your engine bay. Install university has a write up on trimming the egr down where it protrudes into the intake that would be just as beneficial as removing it.
    yes... it's really a great write up, I used it when I removed mine

OMGls1jz
    i've already done it

FAS02SS

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

AIR Removal

There's a solenoid under the cowl on the drivers side that the AIR tubing runs too and there is a vacuum line on top. I think that's a solenoid and vacuum line anyway, has anybody removed this stuff?

OMGls1jz
    yes i removed it from my brother's z28, i unbolted the whole thing from the chasis

black
    1998 Camaro SS

if i just remove the air system and not disable the ses codes what will happen? anything?

OMGls1jz
    nothing really happened to my brother's car besides the code, every once in a while the car would idle low but then go back to normal

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    if i just remove the air system and not disable the ses codes what will happen? anything?
    You will possibly get a check engine light. I deleted my air system back when I put my LT's on and it cleaned up the engine bay real nice!
    Last edited by Justin93; 11-03-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Oh wow I just came to make a thread on the AIR system after my checkengine light code came on this weekend. Here is a thread already made and #1 on the list. Do I need to have this repaired so far everywhere I've taken it they have no idea what it is. One guy looked for an air pump and couldn't find it he says take it down the road boy. That led to me being pissed but that's another story. Should I pay to have this fixed? Also, what do I risk by continuing to drive it this way?

OMGls1jz
    where can i get some block off plates for the egr and air system? my ws6 is a 00

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by OMGls1jz View Post
    where can i get some block off plates for the egr and air system? my ws6 is a 00
    hm... make your own... I did... out of some sheet aluminum I had lying around... it worked great... just make sure to put some Coper RTV sealant on it...and tap em in place with a hammer... just so they seal properly

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I just removed the whole system from my 2000 WS6. Got some plates and the sealing plug from RD Speed on Ebay. Makes the engine bay look a lot less messy... look at all this stuff that comes out!

Black
    02 Z28 M6

I currently have an AIR system fault in Bank 1. It's throwing code p1415. What does the AIR system do and how do I benefit from it?

This car is my daily driver so should I get it fixed this weekend or yank it out? I'd love to just take it out and dress up the engine bay. The parts cheap if I need it right? Someone in another forum said check valve about $18.
    Last edited by ezwip; 11-03-2008 at 06:11 PM.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

All depends what you need to fix your problem. I had the same code years ago, and needed a whole new EGR... ran me like 138 bucks for the part itself.

The Air system and EGR (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is really there for emissions and air quality. It routes some of the hot exhaust back into the engine to prevent gases from being sent into our air. So, if you are in an emission test area... keep the system you'll need it. If not, pull it all out... but you'll have to get a tune to remove the codes...

Thread Information