Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Air pump Questions

So what are the benefits in taking the air pump out? I dont really know much about it but i'm getting my lt headers installed soon and should i take out the egr and all the tubes? I just want to do this right and am not sure what the best way to do it. Should i take all this stuff out?? Any help would be great...thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The benefit is weight reduction and cleaner looking engine bay. You can remove it if you depending what kind (if any) emission testing you have in your area.
    To do it right you need the computer tuned to eliminate the trouble codes so you don't have a SES light staring at you. Get a hold of Frost for a mail order tune.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The benefit is weight reduction and cleaner looking engine bay. You can remove it if you depending what kind (if any) emission testing you have in your area.
    To do it right you need the computer tuned to eliminate the trouble codes so you don't have a SES light staring at you. Get a hold of Frost for a mail order tune.

Will do they don't do visual here just plug into my computer and read it if it doesn't throw a code it passes. We used to have to go on a dyno glad those days are over. So the egr is useless as well? I wish I got headers without the egrs I am gonna have to get some sort of block off plates for them
    Last edited by Camaro69Mac; 05-19-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I removed it to get rid of the clutter and to take a few pounds off the front end when I installed my LT's. The system only operates for a minute or two after cold startup. Pumping air into the exhaust helps bring the cats up to operating temp quicker -- that is all it does. Details on removing the system with pics are in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130641

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I removed it to get rid of the clutter and to take a few pounds off the front end when I installed my LT's. The system only operates for a minute or two after cold startup. Pumping air into the exhaust helps bring the cats up to operating temp quicker -- that is all it does. Details on removing the system with pics are in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130641
    Perfect thanks alot i just need some plates to block off where it goes on my headers, i should of got them without the egr hook ups but too late now. One side even has like to lines that go to it on the pass side not sure what they are for but should get rid of both of them

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    Perfect thanks alot i just need some plates to block off where it goes on my headers, i should of got them without the egr hook ups but too late now. One side even has like to lines that go to it on the pass side not sure what they are for but should get rid of both of them
    Sounds like you may be getting the AIR and EGR systems confused together. Driver's side exhaust manifold has an AIR system connection. Passenger's side manifold as an AIR connection AND an EGR connection (the one closest to the ground). Removing EGR also requires either plugging up the EGR hole on the intake manifold, or a new EGR-less (LS6 for example) intake manifold.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    Sounds like you may be getting the AIR and EGR systems confused together. Driver's side exhaust manifold has an AIR system connection. Passenger's side manifold as an AIR connection AND an EGR connection (the one closest to the ground). Removing EGR also requires either plugging up the EGR hole on the intake manifold, or a new EGR-less (LS6 for example) intake manifold.
    Ya i figured they were both together on one side but dont i still need a block off directly on the header? cause if i remove those lines i need something to block off that hole. I'm going to get a ls6 intake eventually

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    Ya i figured they were both together on one side but dont i still need a block off directly on the header? cause if i remove those lines i need something to block off that hole. I'm going to get a ls6 intake eventually
    You will need to block off both the AIR and EGR connections on the headers.

Thread Information