Thread: air pump

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

air pump

ok so i think my z28 is curse by the devil. No matter what i do the freaking service engine light wont come off its been on since i both the car. First it was the 02 sensors (replace that) then it was the clutch switch (replace that) and now is telling me that my air pump is bad. I replace the air pump i also replace the relay switch but its still showing that is bad any ideas on what it could be? before i take it to the shop to get it figure out?..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

What codes are you getting? Is the pump making noise when you turn the car on? It sounds like air vaccum pump for a few seconds.

If is not making noise have you checked the AIR pump fuse? Are you sure your check valves are not the issue? Check valves are known to cause trouble.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    What codes are you getting? Is the pump making noise when you turn the car on? It sounds like air vaccum pump for a few seconds.

If is not making noise have you checked the AIR pump fuse? Are you sure your check valves are not the issue? Check valves are known to cause trouble.
    yeah i replace the air pump fuse...and were is the check valve located??

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    thanks bro that really help a lot

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Glad to help a fellow enthusiast

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

What I found to be the most common cause of the Secondary Air Injection code, when I still had my AIR system installed, was simple fouling in the check valve. I simply removed those at the exhaust manifold and the hose to the intake, ran some carb cleaner through them and reinstalled. I cleared the code with my programmer, but it never came back after I did this.

This is just my opinion, but unless you need the AIR or are keeping your car all stock as a collector, I would remove the system and have it tuned out before I paid anyone to repair it. Clearing out the check valves is very easy though, and has been the cause of every code I've seen in my or buddies' cars.

yellow
    2004 gto

i dont know if this will help you or not, but i pulled the whole air pump lines exc off my car.

i will give it to you if you pay for shipping. if it works out for you, you could take what you bought back to the store to collect some gas money. eveything worked fine while it was on my car which is an 02 ss.

pm me if you want it.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

Quote Originally Posted by nmbr5ml View Post
    What I found to be the most common cause of the Secondary Air Injection code, when I still had my AIR system installed, was simple fouling in the check valve. I simply removed those at the exhaust manifold and the hose to the intake, ran some carb cleaner through them and reinstalled. I cleared the code with my programmer, but it never came back after I did this.

This is just my opinion, but unless you need the AIR or are keeping your car all stock as a collector, I would remove the system and have it tuned out before I paid anyone to repair it. Clearing out the check valves is very easy though, and has been the cause of every code I've seen in my or buddies' cars.
    yeah my air pump is running so it must be what you said ill give it a try and see what happens. thanks

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith564` View Post
    i dont know if this will help you or not, but i pulled the whole air pump lines exc off my car.

i will give it to you if you pay for shipping. if it works out for you, you could take what you bought back to the store to collect some gas money. eveything worked fine while it was on my car which is an 02 ss.

pm me if you want it.
    thanks man ill get back to you after i try to clean mine out...thanks a lot for your offer.

Thread Information