Thread: air pump?

white

air pump?

I have installed an slp lid. now i have the air pump line to deal with. should i put a breather filter on it? or get rid of the air pump all together? what does the air pump do? do it help or hurt the car if i remove it?

I have a Whisper lid and just put a filter on it and zip tied it to the little eyelet near the top of the radiator. Be careful not to kink the hose, you'll throw a SES light. !AIR isn't hard to do, but will throw codes unless you get them turned off permanently. http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70 IMO just put a filter on the hose, unless you want to clean up the engine bay.

M6TA
    It pumps air into the exhaust to help with emissions while your cats are cold.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Did you buy the lid off of someone...my slp lid came with all the parts that are needed to attach the air hose. So either put a k@n breather on that pump hose and tie it down...remove the air system and have the codes tuned out...or modify the lid to fit a rubber hose on the side.

NBM
    99 TA

i just removed mine along with the egr. it throws a code like said above. but shouldnt hurt the car.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

What is EGR/AIR???

Haven't had either for years.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Quote Originally Posted by peterlawl84
    i just removed mine along with the egr. it throws a code like said above. but shouldnt hurt the car.
    i would have to disagree....the air system is used to keep the cats and 02's alive..also the pcm uses it at start up to test the 02 sensors.

NBM
    99 TA

ask around, many ppl who have put on LT have taken them off. they take up alot of space under the hood.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If you have the cats in place -you need the air pump to keep them alive.It is a support system for the converters.Otherwise they will burn up with the rich cold start up mixture.If you've removed the cats the pump will still work to keep the emissions down-unless you just totally don't care about that kinda stuff.Mine is located in a part of the underhood area that can hardly be seen and isn't used for anything else and running on electric power it isn't costing you any power or performance.Just wanted to put the facts out there.

Something else to consider with stock cats/!AIR - Dealership probably won't honor the 8yr/80K cat warranty if one goes bad.

one more thing..but i'm not 100% sure about this fact.....i believe the air also runs at times while you are driving.Ever notice your light dim once in while while driving at night?I'm pretty sure the air comes on when ever you let off the throttle and coast.Under certain conditions i think the pcm turns it on to keep the cats up to temp and to help the 02's from fouling.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I don't doubt that it comes at times while driving-just haven't been able to hear that and haven't ever heard it winding down after turning off the engine.And yes-if they see the air pump not there-forget the warranty on the cats-which on some cars can be 10 years,100,000 miles.Which brings up an important point---if it really is the air pump then it should still be under a federal emissions warraty-take it in.

Unfortunately I think only the cats and PCM are covered under the Fed Emissions warranty for 8yrs/80K.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I was under the impression that "any" emissions control items have to be warrantied by that law.The idea behind the law was to force the manufactures to make them durable enough to last a reasonable time and work long enough to keep the air clean.Back in the late 70s one of my first jobs was working for the EPA at a testing laboratory where they took used cars from every manufacturer;every model/engine/transmission type out there,and verify that the emissions were actually within guidelines. What they were finding out was not all the manufacturers were making this stuff work for very long at all-just long enough to be certified and then who cared after that. The federally mandated warranty was an attempt to make this stuff actually work.That would include any exhaust from the engine to the convertor for example,air pumps,EGR valves,whatever is there to control emissions.This is my understanding of it-I could be wrong.

nope...read the fine print...3-36 on the car...8-80 on the cats and pcm....thats all folks...now they just changed it to 120 on the cats

Thread Information