Thread: Air/Fuel gauge

NBM
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Air/Fuel gauge

So, i'm looking to add an A/F gauge to my car. my question is how does it hook up? i'm not understanding the differences between the narrowband and wideband sensors... or what the car has from the factory. nor do i know what the a/f gauges come with to hook it all up.

any thoughts?

NetrixTardis

98 Formula
    06 duramax

If you go with a kit such as an LC-1 it has everything you need to hook it up. Factory sensors are narrowband sensors, they are very accurate at a certain resolution ( 0-1.x volts I think) and a wideband is accurate at 0-5volts. The stock sensors do fine when staying around stoich which is 14.7:1 but fall short in resolution/accuracy when trying to see afr at wot. That's why you need the wideband, to get an accurate reading of your wot afr. The way its set up from the factory the stock O2's aren't used when you go wot ( pe) and a multiplier is used instead against stoich such as 1.13 to get 12.7:1 afr.
    The kit will have a bung that you have welded into your exhaust pre-cat and the wideband sensor will screw into there. You'll then need to find a 12v source ( at the fuse block or somewhere) to hook it all up and mount the gauge. I'm sure there are several guys here that run a mounted sensor that can give you tips on where to get power from and where to run the wires. Post in the computer and tuning section with questions as there will be more guys there that can give you more detailed help. I personally use an LM-1 which is portable because I use it on 3-4 different cars.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

With a narrow band AF ratio guage you just hook it up to a ground and a power source then the signal wire goes to your passenger side o2 sensor pigtail. you can buy an additional pigtail from Speed inc made specifically for this application if you dont want to splice any wires but as Orion said the wideband units are better and far more accurate at WOT which when you really need to know what your AF ratio is. The Narrow band is basically a gloried light show of a gauge in your car.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    You'll then need to find a 12v source ( at the fuse block or somewhere) to hook it all up and mount the gauge. I'm sure there are several guys here that run a mounted sensor that can give you tips on where to get power from and where to run the wires. Post in the computer and tuning section with questions as there will be more guys there that can give you more detailed help. I personally use an LM-1 which is portable because I use it on 3-4 different cars.
    I spliced into the power wire for my TCS, Big red wire going to the TCS switch then grounded under the hood. I then ran my Signal wire through the pre-existing gromet in the firewall on the passenger side under the glove box, it is in the same proximity as where the computer is in the engine bay. Signal wire to the sensor. Mine was just the Narrow band but I would assume you could do a Wideband the same way but you have to mount the sensor.

Thread Information