Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Aftermarket Exhaust Woes...

So I got rid of my slp longtube headers after they kept getting smashed. I put stock headers on and kept catback slp loudmouth exhaust. I hooked everything back up and now I drive ses light comes on, and goes off, on and off. No pattern at all. I managed to get to autozone with out it going off and the code was rear o2 sensor not reading, so I bought two o2 sensors. Reset the pcm, and I was fine for over a month, now it started doing it again. What gives. I took the cats off yesterday and they looked wide open still. I can't warrant spending 300 dollars for a hypertech to remove rear o2 sensors. Any tips as to what the deally-o is.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

did you get ur ride tuned for the LT's?? also when is the last time you cleaned ur MAF? Mine was throwing O2 codes one time, and I cleaned the MAF...and it straightened itself out

Bat Outta Hell

Black
    96 Z28Ttops, 98 Z28 Conv.

What does it matter that it is reading that code??? Most people delete the o2 sensor readings when they get a tune, i dont understand what good this does??? I wouldnt think anything bad could happen if you kept driving with that reading, could it?? Could anything f*ck up if you kept driving it like it is????

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

How are the wires going to the rear O2's?

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

When you buy new o2 sensors it comes with a new harness for them, but the other ends on the car looked fine, they were tucked nicley up out of harms way.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by NightRiderZ View Post
    What does it matter that it is reading that code??? Most people delete the o2 sensor readings when they get a tune, i dont understand what good this does??? I wouldnt think anything bad could happen if you kept driving with that reading, could it?? Could anything f*ck up if you kept driving it like it is????
    ive had my z almost 3 years now. about a week after i got it i had my cats cut off/replaced with straight pipe and then a flowmaster 40 put on. i have not had any tune whatsoever(no deletion of o2 sensors). my ses is still on showing p0420(bad cats, i believe) and ive yet to encounter any problems as a result. this is also my daily driver.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    ive had my z almost 3 years now. about a week after i got it i had my cats cut off/replaced with straight pipe and then a flowmaster 40 put on. i have not had any tune whatsoever(no deletion of o2 sensors). my ses is still on showing p0420(bad cats, i believe) and ive yet to encounter any problems as a result. this is also my daily driver.

p0420 reads catalyst efficiency bellow threshold. This is basically your rear o2 sensors comparing the reading with the front o2's and telling your ecu that your cats are no longer doing what they should be doing. If your running a car without cats you can get around this by either buying o2 sim's or getting the code tuned out with a tuner program (hptuners etc.) You will NOT do any harm to the vehicle driving around throwing a p0420 code. However if you have to pass obd2 emissions you will fail.
    Last edited by km346; 11-11-2008 at 07:49 AM.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    p0420 reads catalyst efficiency bellow threshold. This is basically your rear o2 sensors comparing the reading with the front o2's and telling your ecu that your cats are no longer doing what they should be doing. If your running a car without cats you can get around this by either buying o2 sim's or getting the code tuned out with a tuner program (hptuners etc.) You will NOT do any harm to the vehicle driving around throwing a p0420 code. However if you have to pass obd2 emissions you will fail.
    ive noticed no harm like you mentioned.

also, i dont have to worry about emissions here in okla

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

No emissions here in Iowa either.

Bat Outta Hell

Black
    96 Z28Ttops, 98 Z28 Conv.

Hehe thats what i thought.....i dont know about you guys, but im poor!!! I cant afford to drop money into my car just to make a light turn off!!!!

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Hehe thats what i thought.....i dont know about you guys, but im poor!!! I cant afford to drop money into my car just to make a light turn off!!!!
    I will be going through the same problem once the headers go on with no cats. I will probably wait to do anything with the code till I get my rear changed then i can justify the paying for the code removed.

The o2 sims seem kind of a waste of money to me

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Nothing bad will happen but what if some other code comes up? You wont know because the light is already on.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Nothing bad will happen but what if some other code comes up? You wont know because the light is already on.
    this is the sole reason i have my car scanned for new codes atleast 2-3 times a month at autozone.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    this is the sole reason i have my car scanned for new codes atleast 2-3 times a month at autozone.
    If u are going to get ur car scanned that much I would find a local tuner to remove the code u need can't be more than 75 for that

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    If u are going to get ur car scanned that much I would find a local tuner to remove the code u need can't be more than 75 for that
    eventually i will. but for the most part, its really no inconvenience.

Thread Information