Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

ADVICE! Taking the Z out after SIX YEARS in storage!

My z has been in my dad's barn for six years. I'm bringing out of storage in a month. It has not run (fuel pump went bad) in six years (financial and moving situations). Do you think I have engine damage and what should I do and look at before replacing fuel pump and starting up for the first time? I live in Ohio, weather is humid in summer and cold af in winter. Again it's in the barn and well shielded from direct weather but could humidity have damaged engine cylinders? Any advice welcome! Super looking forward to driving my car again! Met her when I was 19 and she was my first love!!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

doubt any engine damage. some cylinders might be a tiny bit rusted from condensation getting in the cylinders that had their valves open. maybe think about replacing valve springs and changing oil.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Unless it was properly stored smart money would be to pull the heads and make sure no water has rusted the cylinders. The seals all around will most likely need replaced as well as ALL FLUIDS. Fuel filter and lines could get gummed up too.

Gas goes bad after 6 months, oils a little longer, and coolant about 2-3 yrs. It may start up and run for a while but it's going to leak

Hope she gets back on the road.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Unless it was properly stored smart money would be to pull the heads and make sure no water has rusted the cylinders. The seals all around will most likely need replaced as well as ALL FLUIDS. Fuel filter and lines could get gummed up too.

Gas goes bad after 6 months, oils a little longer, and coolant about 2-3 yrs. It may start up and run for a while but it's going to leak

Hope she gets back on the road.
    Thank you for the input.
    I bought a snake camera which I will use to inspect cylinder walls before replacing plugs pack and wires (needed to be done anyway) and if cylinder walls are good I will soak in wd40 to prevent dry start. If I find rust I will evaluate it and cross that bridge then.

All vehicle fluids will be replaced as well as fuel filter, fuel pump (it went bad at some point in the last six years, I used to start it up and run it periodically i have no idea how long ago it was last run years for sure), and clean out gas tank.I will be putting some 2 cycle engine oil in the first several gallons of gas to help lubricate the system after years of sitting. Plan on doing basically back to back oil changes. Brake and cooling system flush, new diff and trans fluid.

I want to do some performance upgrades but I better see how this goes first.

Any other tips you have? Maybe specific seals I should have replacements for on hand? I really appreciate your input.
    Last edited by camaroluvr447; 03-06-2018 at 05:28 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

If you disconnect the fuel filter and at the rail the fuel line you can use compress air to blow out any trash and test to see if the line is clear. Also on start up have a 2nd person watch the engine as you turn it over. The injector o rings can dry rot and if they go you'll have a flooded engine compartment full of fuel waiting for a spark.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Excellent advice. I will have someone standing by with a couple of extinguishers handy. I will also just go ahead and replace the o rings as i don't even want to have to worry about that out on the road. good call.
    2000 Z28 Pewter, M6, T-Tops, K&N Intake, LS6 Manifold, SS Hood, MSD Ignition, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Stage 3 Clutch, Short Shifter.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would check the fluids, install a fresh battery, and turn the key. Then keep a close eye on things to ensure that you have oil pressure, that nothing is leaking or smoking, and that the car comes up to temp without overheating. We have purchased cars that have sat for well over 10 years and brought them back to life with zero issues.

Thread Information