Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

Advice about a 2001 T/A with super low mileage.

I just recently purchased a "diamond in the rough" as I would like to think. It is a 2001 WS6 that only has 13,888 miles on it. Now the car runs like a champ but it gets not near as good gas mileage as my 2000 SS Camaro. I have cleaned the car up nicely under the hood. It had a few cobwebs in the corners and some dirt build up just inside the hood. It is as if this car has just been sitting for a good while...which brings me to my point. I have already installed the SLP Flowpac and was wondering if you guys would recommend a tune-up. I know the spark plugs have to be original and wanted to see if you guys think replacing them would be wise after being in there all this time even though they are low mileage. What else should a check for/replace before Spring hits?

I have always bought my sports cars with low mileage but have never bought one that has hardly been driven for 8-9 years. BTW I did buy the car through CarMax so I know everything gets checked out fairly well there.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

empty out the gas tank... it's probably gel at the bottom of that thing by now... chacnge the fuel filter, oil & filter, get a new air filter, and clean the maf with maf cleaner... make sure the air pressure in the tires is correct as well... a tune would help it out a bit...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I would add to that the plugs and wires. You dont know the condition on those since you just got the car. I know is low mileage but you never know.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Plus check the brakes.. make sure they aren't rotting out or seizing.. Congrats on the purchase though!
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I think plugs and wires are a good idea, also.

black
    1993 mustang

Also check or and change hoses and thermostat, cheap insurance!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Can O2's go bad after a decade of minimal use?

These can also through off your MPG, but only 14k may not be issue.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In comparing the two cars -- what transmissions and gear ratios? That will have a definite impact on mileage.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have purchased very low mileage cars before....that have sat for a spell. The first few I changed everything...fluids et al. right off the bat.
    I have had better luck driving them a few hundred miles first. It stirs things up and the heat discharges moisture etc. that just a cold fluid change will not get.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

give us a little back story and pics of this car....why was it just sitting and how much ya get it for? just curious.

Like everyone says, common sense items should be looked at. I've got 3 cars here that have sat since the early 80's. One of which I brought out of retirement 2 years ago. Sitting for over 25 years, a new battery, some fresh gas and oil, and it fired right off, still the same points and plugs.
    These cars have had the advantage of the old gas not being infested with Ethanol, didn't have that back when these cars were parked.

After I drove this one a few times I flushed everything, antifreeze, oils, gas, changed the fan belt (it was dry rotted) and new tires (they were flat spotted). New master cylinder shortly after was also required. It smoked for a bit on first start up, but the more I drove it the better it was, to the point where it dissappeared completely. Runs great after putting about 10,000 miles on it now.

For an 01 sitting for 8-9 years, I wouldn't flinch at buying it. Go through the fluids and enjoy.
    If it makes you feel better, my buddy has a 98 WS6 with maybe 1,000 miles on it. It's been sitting since 98 with a battery tender on it. When it came time to move his shop to another location in 2008, it fired right up and he drove it 20 some odd miles to the new place. Check engine light came on for a bit, (02 sensor code) but it ran beautiful. At the new shop he changed the oil and covered it back up for another long hibernation I'm sure. These cars may be a little easier to deal with long stints like that I would think.

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

I checked the brakes, they look good. It has brand new tires on it...the car runs fantastic no problems...just the gas mileage seems to be not near as good as the SS. I am thinking plugs or O2 sensor....I am going to check the fluids and go ahead and change the thermostat and plugs, wires for good measure. Those are the least expensive of things. Fuel filter should probably be changed also.

I only know a small history of the car. It came from Roseville, CA so at least it was in somewhat of a moderate climate unlike here in Memphis where it is anywhere from 10 degrees to 100 degrees. It had the black WS6 rims from the yellow 2002 T/A and a Flowmaster muffler on it...both of which I am trying to sell if possible. I bought the car for $16,900 from CarMax...every WS6 I saw for sale around here or nearby areas had pretty high mileage on them. When I saw this one on the CarMax website with 13,888 miles on it, I jumped on it.

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

not too bad for that low miles....im sure you wont have a problem selling the ceta wheels....as for the flowmaster, craigslist may be your best bet for selling. nice ride none the less.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

oh... and make sure you condition the weather stripping or you're going to have some leaks...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would check all your hoses for cracks and the belt for cracks also...if no one else has mentioned it...didn't read FBJ's post

PS - I usually do FBJ, just in a hurry today.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I would check all your hoses for cracks and the belt for cracks also...if no one else has mentioned it...didn't read FBJ's post

PS - I usually do FBJ, just in a hurry today.
    It's all good Hoses are a good idea, but I'll admit, a couple of mine at over 40 years old are still sportin the original GM hoses, and in one case, OEM blue oval pieces,,,ehem......

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was referring to vacuum hoses specifically. Sometimes when cars sit for that long, mice and other creatures like to nest up in them and eat through shit

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

My dad had squirrels get up under the bed of his truck and chew the wires loose.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Replacing the heater hose assembly was boatloads of fun. I strongly recommend a set of remote hose clamp pliers. +1 on the debil critters -- they had a feast on the vacuum tubing in our Monte Carlo, shreaded the hood insulation, and pissed all over the top of the heater box and intake manifold.

Thread Information