Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

Acceleration problem!!! o2 sensor?

So this past summer i replaced my fuel pump in my car. Everything was fine afterwards until my muffler fell off. I had it off for quite some time because i didnt have much time to deal with the different sized pipes. After a while the engine light came on with some issues. The car started stuttering and sometimes would auto shut off. I brought it in and they ran the tester, there was like 9 things that came up and could have been either on of those. Most dealt with fuel/ sensor stuff.

Well i replaced the muffler thinking that was the problem but soon afterwards it started doing it again. It ran fine until i went to pass someone on the highway and when i blew past them with hard acceleration and brought it back down to speed (15MPR) Thats when the car started acting up again, the rest of the drive would sit around 2000 RPM but in order to accelerate at any rate id have to floor it. It takes about 3 seconds before it kicks in and jumps up to like 6000 RPM accelerating slowly. It sounds like it is backfiring in the back as well as the front...Not sure what could be the problem. If i let the car sit for a week it kinda fixes itself and is fine again

If i break the lights also dim...Alternator?
    I really hope it is not the fuel pump because ive gone through 2 of them and their expensive as shit.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

I also ran the code reader and i got PO151, PO103, PO171, PO174. The most recurring problem is o2 sensor, MAF, or vacume leak. Not sure if anyone knows...but like i said i gatta drive 300 miles home and i dunno if im going to make it

PS...i heard i should try to use o2 cleaner..but i only know of the one behind the air intake..Where is the 2nd upfront? And also to throw some lucas in there for injection cleaner just incase

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Did you change the fuel filter when you changed the pump?

Have you checked your fuel pressure? It should read around 58PSI at the rail.

Could also be your catalytic converter taking a shit.

P0103 - Clean your MAF! A dirty MAF will also cause bad acceleration issues.

P0171 - Your lean condition could be caused by the MAF (being dirty) also or faulty O2 sensors.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

Fuel filter was changed.

The perssure was good this summer. I dont know why it would have changed.

Which sensor is the MAF exatly? I dont have my manual with me..and how do i clean it?

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

Actually i got a PO171 and a PO 174. Which work together. It just sounds like either lean fuel or too much..Or oxygen. My guess is oxygen i didnt mention this but i did realize after working on the car for a while the air intake wasnt even connecetd properly. I did connect it but i really do think its more than that.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by UC Warrior 1 View Post
    Actually i got a PO171 and a PO 174. Which work together. It just sounds like either lean fuel or too much..Or oxygen. My guess is oxygen i didnt mention this but i did realize after working on the car for a while the air intake wasnt even connecetd properly. I did connect it but i really do think its more than that.
    The MAF is right before the throttle body. Or, just after your lid. It is connected to the accordion bellows. At least on the 00-02's it is.

You disconnect it (one wire) and unbolt it (should have a metal clamp on both ends of it) and clean it using MAF cleaner, which you can buy at Autozone.

Both P0174 and P0171 are usually MAF related. Your MAF is what monitors the amount of air coming into the engine. A dirty MAF will not read air properly, which will cause your PCM to either a) dump more fuel then what is required (running rich) or b) reduce the amount of fuel which would cause a lean condition.

Running lean is NOT GOOD.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

Sounds good. Ill attempt the cleaner. I wont have the money to replace anytime soon, but if that doesn't work, what do you think the next step would be?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Have your 02 sensors checked. MAFs normally don't go bad, they just get dirty. You can check the MAF voltage to see if it is working properly. However, it is easiest to check the O2 sensors with a scanner that can read the oscillating voltage on them.

http://forum.doityourself.com/archiv.../t-167282.html - MAF check

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

check your electronic coolant senser on the side of the cylinder head my ws6 was doing same thing and i checked it and it had broken in half. i would check that little senser.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

Oddly enough...would that sensor cause your coolant light to come on even though your coolant light is full?

I drove home today...cleaned the MAF and air filter. I drove 10 miles to a gas station with the same problem... i also filled the tank with injection cleaner then, and after 2 miles it cleared and worked properly again. I almost wonder if i did something wrong installing the fuel pump. I'll have to check the pressure again...

black
    2001 trans am ws6

code problems

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Have your 02 sensors checked. MAFs normally don't go bad, they just get dirty. You can check the MAF voltage to see if it is working properly. However, it is easiest to check the O2 sensors with a scanner that can read the oscillating voltage on them.

http://forum.doityourself.com/archiv.../t-167282.html - MAF check
    im having all kind off problems with my oxygen sensors i just replaced bank 1 sensor 1 saturday and it still show heater malfunctuntion, manufacturer fuel air metering,bank 2 sensor 1 low voltage i just replaced it like 4 months ago, PO300 misfire detected, and my clothes smell like gas when i drive it most of the time some 1 plz give me some suggestions

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

I've got the same problem as the original post. No backfiring, but I have the acceleration problem and the dim tail light.

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

Cleaned my MAF sensor. Problem solved!

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

I stored the car for the winter so the issue still has not been fixed. I changed all the o2 Sensors..I also connected a fuel pump gage and it was way below the numbers it's supposed to be. If you refer to the beginning I changed the fuel pump...anyone know what it might be? I'm going to make sure that they are connected properly..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Can you hear your fuel pump priming when you turn the key to the on position? Maybe you got a bad pump.

What was your fuel pressure? Make sure you didn't kink or bend any fuel lines.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by LSWONCOOP View Post
    Cleaned my MAF sensor. Problem solved!
    amazing what havoc one sensor can cause! i've never cleaned mine, i probably should for good measure!

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

Well if I rem right the pressure was supeer high @ idle but low (35?) At normal. I won't find out til tomorrow. I just replaced it with a manufactured pump so it hsouldnt be bad.. and yes I can hear it working.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

have you changed the fuel filter? A clogged filter can cause low fuel pressure.

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

Ha ya did that the same time as the pump. I do smell fuel often in the car...wonder if a dine is disconnected

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would check your fuel lines...

Thread Information