Sport Gold Metallic
    98 z28...sold

Ac recharge question

My car is a 98 and i had a 2000 ls1 swaped in cause it was actualy cheaper then getting my original ls1 fixed. since the motor was swapped in.. my ac blows hot air.. so im thinking that maybe the coolant came out during the swap. I mean the ac would have to be unbolted for the swap right..?
    Now if it is a recharge problem.. do the cans they sell at the auto stores actualy work to standards and have cold ass air... or am i better of talking it in to a shop? what have you guys paid for this work at a shop?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

It's the same stuff as a shop uses only in a smaller can.
    You need to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump. You can't just add refrigerant & expect it to work.

AutoZone will loan you what you need for free if you buy refrigerant from them.
    Plenty of online tutorials on the web.

If you're not mechanically inclined, take it to a shop.
    Call around for prices in your area for a vacuum & re-fill.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Im going to be doing this soon cept mine blows cold ass air and goes GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.(dam n compressor)

First off I would take the compressor off and make sure the o-rings are good and make sure it has enough compressor oil in it, I do not know the exact amount but a good google search will help. Pulling a vacuum isnt that hard. I forgot how to bridge the pump on all the time. I do know you have to use a jumper.

Subscribed

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I do know you have to use a jumper.

Subscribed
    No, this is wrong, and may cause damage from what I've read.
    The compressor will kick in as soon as it gets enough refrigerant into the system to kick the low pressure switch (about 1/2 can).
    There's no need to jump it.

I did mine in July for a hose replacement & I believe the oil charge is a tolal of 9 oz.???
    AutoZone can give you the correct amount. There's different amounts depending on a dry or wet charge if I remember correctly.
    It's very important not to overcharge the system with oil.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    No, this is wrong, and may cause damage from what I've read.
    The compressor will kick in as soon as it gets enough refrigerant into the system to kick the low pressure switch (about 1/2 can).
    There's no need to jump it.

I did mine in July for a hose replacement & I believe the oil charge is a tolal of 9 oz.???
    AutoZone can give you the correct amount. There's different amounts depending on a dry or wet charge if I remember correctly.
    It's very important not to overcharge the system with oil.
    In tech school the books and the teacher taught us this way and Ive seen my father do it a lot... Ase mastertech.

ive always used the recovery/replacement machines, used the jumper with it as well

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    In tech school the books and the teacher taught us this way and Ive seen my father do it a lot... Ase mastertech.

ive always used the recovery/replacement machines, used the jumper with it as well
    Please explain why is it necessary to use a jumper on the compressors in our AC systems.

Were your tech books & teacher referring to our compressors?
    Was your father working on the compressors we have in our cars?

Not picking a fight.....just seeking, & trying to provide accurate information pertaining to our cars.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Please explain why is it necessary to use a jumper on the compressors in our AC systems.

Were your tech books & teacher referring to our compressors?
    Was your father working on the compressors we have in our cars?

Not picking a fight.....just seeking, & trying to provide accurate information pertaining to our cars.

Last one I used it on was a 2001 cavalier. Pulled the vacuum, and turned the AC on it slowly started taking it in, then it balanced out, so plugged in the jumper and it sucked the rest of it in. From what I was taught it is to fool the AC compressor into staying locked up and sucking in more "freon"

Please explain why I dont need to use a jumper. I might learn something today

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Because the compressor will run without using one. These compressors will kick on with as little as 10% to 15% charge.
    A gauge set must be used to charge these systems to prevent over charging. You re-charge by watching the pressures, not by how much you put in.
    The system must have time to balance out the pressure though-out or you run the risk of damaging the compressor.
    You can't just keep dumping in more refrigerant, it's all about proper pressure.

I'm not an AC tech, but having worked on older cars AC, & this was new to me, I prepared & read alot of different info before I worked on mine last July.
    These are alot different than the old R12 systems.
    I may be full of shit on all this, but I try always to provide accurate info here.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Because the compressor will run without using one. These compressors will kick on with as little as 10% to 15% charge.
    A gauge set must be used to charge these systems to prevent over charging. You re-charge by watching the pressures, not by how much you put in.
    The system must have time to balance out the pressure though-out or you run the risk of damaging the compressor.
    You can't just keep dumping in more refrigerant, it's all about proper pressure.

I'm not an AC tech, but having worked on older cars AC, & this was new to me, I prepared & read alot of different info before I worked on mine last July.
    These are alot different than the old R12 systems.
    I may be full of shit on all this, but I try always to provide accurate info here.
    Same info I already knew... of course I have guages you know how much a recharge machine costs? I sure as hell dont lol.

I still use the jumper, its a faster way for me

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

if you pull a vacuum on the system and leave it(what you should do for leak checking and moisture removal, 30 Hg) . negative HG it should pull the first can in without even starting the system .that should be enough to safly start the system and add the rest. and if the system is empty when you add the right weight charge your superheat and sub cool temps and pressures should be achieved

Thread Information