Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

ac pump was cherry red

i just got done spankin a 350z and we get off the highway and we stop cause i smell somethin i open the hood and my ac compressor is cherry red. i was wonderin if i could take the pump off and get a smaller belt to run, or does the small belt run to that and only that i dunno.any help would be greately appreciated. Thanks ... ... and i have a 98 z28

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Kages99 View Post
    Small belt runs A/C compressor only. Don't understand what u want to do with it?
    It looks like he's wanting to ditch the a/c. I would look at why it was red in the first place although it's probably hosed now. Bearings maybe?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

anyways a/c is for pussies..thats why i use it all the time but yea i agree with kages sounds like it seized
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Wow, never heard of that before - didn't think it could get that hot and still work? Thinking it'll shut down on low or high pressure sensor first.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

yea i cut the belt this mornin and i spun the ac pulley by hand and it sounded like when ur goin down the road and metal is rubbin ur rotor constanstly. I would take the pump off but doesnt look like theres enough room to get it out with out some work.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Were you racing with the A/C on? People -turn off all unnecessary stuff when running the fawk out of your car. It probably over revved the compressor. Probably stuffed metal chips in the rest of the system also -so you would have to have the system flushed at the least before replacing the compressor and receiver dryer. Or just throw away the compressor if you are interested in the weight savings. I've never seen a compressor get that hot like that-I would've thought it would shut off first also.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

i dunno i had the defroster on cause it was like two in the mornin and it was kinda cold.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    Were you racing with the A/C on? People -turn off all unnecessary stuff when running the fawk out of your car. It probably over revved the compressor. Probably stuffed metal chips in the rest of the system also -so you would have to have the system flushed at the least before replacing the compressor and receiver dryer. Or just throw away the compressor if you are interested in the weight savings. I've never seen a compressor get that hot like that-I would've thought it would shut off first also.
    The a/c compressor shuts down automatically when you go WOT. I wanna say it's at like 4500 rpm.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

True-there is a cut-out at WOT, at any RPM. But then when you let off the throttle it turns back on and immediately spins up to RPM when the A/C clutch locks up. So if your at 6,000 rpm and let off the throttle there will be an immediate spin up, maybe a slight delay.(like A/C, stereo,heater,back window defroster,etc.) I'm just sayin turn off stuff and you won't have melt down, like for example what happened to him (which I'm still not sure how it happened) .

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

In EFI Live, it looks like the A/C will shut off at 4293rpm. It won't come back on again until the revs drop below 3950rpm. It also has a provision for throttle percentage. If it meets/exceeds the value in the tune (stock set to 100%), it will shut the A/C off too until the TP% meets/falls below the other value (stock set to 0%).

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

wow never knew that

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

That's interesting-so what does anyone believe happened to his compressor?

Black
    99 camaro

Sounds like to me the clutch hub bearing went out, why it go red hot I have no ideal.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z28

when u turn the defroster on it turns on the A/C to dry out the air. and when u go over 3/4 throttle the compressor cycles off then turns back on when rpm's drop....so don't drive aggressively with the defrost or a/c on

Thread Information