Thread: AC problem

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

AC problem

Im having a little trouble with ac, everytime I turn it on I get a loud high pitch noise coming from the ac compressor or in that general area. It sounds like a dry leaf being put in a fan. Has anyone else had similar problem with their ac? Any suggestions?

2000 WS6 with about 50,000

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

So is the noise coming from the compressor? Engine bay noise or int. noise. You said it was a high pitched noise which could be the bearings in one of the pulleys or compressor or, If it sounds like leaves in a fan its probly just that. I had too pull my blower motor housing off too pull leaves and debris out of it with only 4 thou miles on the clock.
    Under the pass. dash there are three bolts holding it up in there, remove the cover and the fan and see if there is anything stuck in there.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

White
    98 Trans AM

I had an issue with a high pitched sort of whine but fortuneatly it was just the idler pulley. Granted you can't get just the pulley on the A/C idler but it is easy to fix. Hope it's not your compressor!!
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

Yeah Im hoping that it isnt my compressor, I only hear the sound when I turn on the ac and I can hear the sound coming from the general area of the compressor but I haven't had time to actually find out where the nosie is coming from specifically. Im going to work on it this weekend when I have plenty of time.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

I actually had time to get under my car this weekend and I think Ive narrowed it down to my compressor. I had leaked a little oil a few weeks ago but I couldn't find out where it was coming. When I looked at the compressor this weekend it had a little oil on it but I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from on the compressor.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should get one or should I just pick one up from the local auto parts store? Is there a guide that I could get?
    I also noticed that I need new sway bar bushings so I thought I might just go ahead and get a new sway bar too, any suggestions?

Thread Information