maroon
    01 SS

Ac Only Cold On Highway

kinda what the post says. the AC is only cold on the highway. when i stop at a redlight it gets CONSIDERABLY warmer in a few seconds. I'm not sure if i should just get the freon refilled or if im gonna need a new compressor I just bought the car about 2 weeks ago so im not terribly sure if it has been happening for a while or not. also if the car is in Neutral and you rev the air will get cold/ the condenser will cool also. I'm not to educated on the HVAC systems so any help would be greatly appreciated. oh and by the way.... THE LS1 kicks as much ass as i thought it would! sorry to any that saw this twice i posted in the wrong spot first time

Sounds like the compressor is fine...if it wasn't working you wouldn't get any cooling at all. You can buy a recharge kit with a gauge - I'd try that first...or if you bought it from a dealer maybe they'll check it for you since you just got it.

maroon
    01 SS

THANKS FOR THE REPLY!!
    I bought from a private seller so no dice there. I've never messed with AC but I have seen these recharge kits, is it something that a newbie to AC can do or should it be handled by a pro? I assume a recharge would around 100 even from a stealership??? I hope you're right about it not being the compressor, sounds like those are kinda spendy.

Yeah, you can do it - believe the kits come with instructions, and the gauge only lets you hook up the the low pressure side. Some come with referigerant with dye in it so you can check for leaks if it runs low. I do home AC but don't know much on car AC...around here we have "Free AC Check" on the signs at all the auto parts stores lately, maybe you can get it checked free. Don't have a clue what a dealership would charge you...probably way too much.

maroon
    01 SS

SWEET. Im gonna score a recharge kit asap. hopefully that will do it. low pressure test area is down there by the compressor right?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Check your AC belt

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Now I got plenty of my old Hurst buddies that have worked at the Miller Plant in Ft. Worth for years....so watch your ass! They are crazier than I am
    Yes check your belts....look in your dryer glass....while the AC is on and the engine running...you see any bubbles floating by? I'm sure you will as you described a perfectly running compressor that is low on freon.....

maroon
    01 SS

Music to my ears Sarge. Gonna go get refilled while its still hot enough outside to need it . yes the aroma from the plant is pleasent anytime im goin down south, actually bought the car in burleson. thanks for the info gentlemen, and my belt does show some signs of cracking so i'm replacing that as well.

Thread Information