Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

AC-Delco Iridium plugs

I just purchased a set of AC-Delco Iridiums for my '99. Has anyone used them? Opinions?

I've read up on the comments about changing the plugs. I've tried reaching #8 but extra large hands are a big handicap in this. I might be seeking out someone to do this who has regular sized mitts. Any of you bigger guys accomplished this on your own? I'll take any advice I can get (yes, I'll remove the coil packs) that would help.

Thanks,

John

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm 6'1 250 so I'm not a small guy by any means. #8 is just patience and practice. After you get it the first time you'll know the next time what you need to do. Grab a swivel extension and take the coil packs off and the air tube and you'll get it. Just be patient with it. After the #8 the others will be a piece of cake. Good luck.

Camaro

I've got them in my 99 I noticed a major difference. You will be glad you brought them. If you take the coil pack of the pass side it will be easier to get # 8 Took me all of 45 minutes to change all 8 plugs.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Thumbs up

I am on my 3rd set of them..when I check them after I pull them they still look okay..no problems with them. I didn't remove anything.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Thanks guys. I have a friend who is a shop manager and well versed in these engines. He is willing to do it for a fair price, so I think I'm gonna wus out and just pay to have it done. First car I've EVER done that for.

John

Black
    98 Z-28

I too need to replace the plugs in my '98 Z.....but I'm taking a different approach....I'm using a new method called "Creative Visualization"....the way it works is, I sit in a comfortable Lazyboy recliner in a dark air conditioned room with my eyes closed and "imagine" that SparkPlug Ferries are desending upon my car and swapping out my plugs for me.....I'll keep ya'll posted on the results.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I too need to replace the plugs in my '98 Z.....but I'm taking a different approach....I'm using a new method called "Creative Visualization"....the way it works is, I sit in a comfortable Lazyboy recliner in a dark air conditioned room with my eyes closed and "imagine" that SparkPlug Ferries are desending upon my car and swapping out my plugs for me.....I'll keep ya'll posted on the results.

If it works, send 'em my way next please!!!

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Please don't forget to send it my way to. I have a set just waiting to be installed.

black
    02 z28

a swivel and extension is all you need to get to that back plug, it isn't as bad as you think to get to, and you don't need to take the coil pack off just makes more work for you to do.

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

Use a 3/8 drive rachet 1 inch 3/8 swivel and a 5/8 spark plug socket jack the car up get it from bottom wont even take you ten minutes. I removed air tubes from both sides and only #4 coil pack, and it took me less than hour for plug change. Those plugs are nice, personally I like the NGK iridiums burn a little cleaner/hotter over period of time. But they are about 7-8 bucks a piece!!

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Fuck*n Jedi Mind Trick those bitches out. LOL!!

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Will the AC Delco Iridiums work well for a basically stock 97 LT1 also? 117k miles and I need to do a tune up soon also. Thanks.

Camaro

I don't see why they wouldn't.

red
    1998 trans am

I got some iridiums and they work fine. Engine pings a tiny bit for a sec when I hit the gas but I'm told that's normal and not the plug's fault.

Back plugs are a pain but be patient. I removed air tube and coil pack and had no problems other than the usual scraped knuckles and forearms. A mechanic did my plugs a long time ago for me and he went in from the bottom to get the #8 plug... dunno how he did it but that's how he got it in.

The plug wires were worse than the plugs for me. Ruined 2 wires removing them and had a hell of a time putting the back ones on, both sides.

Crinkle, Crinkle

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

With my headers I can't properly reach the plug wires, I broke two of them also. Luckily I was able to repair them. On #8, I can just barely get a finger on the plug wire. If I pull it, it's going to break off. Then I won't be able to get needle nose pliers in there to get the metal end off the plug. And with the metal end stuck on, the spark plug socket wont go on far enough. (Ask me how I know this.)

And #8 is missing. I borrowed a non-contact thermometer, pointed it at the headers, and that one is running way colder than the rest. That would explain the gas stink at idle. Maybe the previous owner screwed up the wire, I don't know.

No way of reaching from the bottom, the headers close it up so that I can just barely get a finger on the wire from underneath.

I have always said of modern cars that there ought to be a law; any engineer that works on a car design should have to personally demonstrate all common repair procedures. I bet they would have put that engine four inches forward and left enough room to fit a hand through there if they had to do that.

Oh well, I'm off to start disassembling things until I can get to it. End of rant, wish me luck.

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

I have always said of modern cars that there ought to be a law; any engineer that works on a car design should have to personally demonstrate all common repair procedures. I bet they would have put that engine four inches forward and left enough room to fit a hand through there if they had to do that.

I agree, unfortunately the more time people spend in school, the less common sense they have, they don't get any life experience. I respect their dedication to obtaining book knowledge, but this lack of common sense is why most Doctors are fuckin' stupid and engineers are stupid fucks. Then they make all that money and end up giving it to other people because they cant fix shit themselves. For the Dr's and engineers.

red
    1998 trans am

Heh...

GM has such a history of sucking that they had no faith in the LS1 in the F-bodies. They used 100,000 mile plugs in the car in part so they wouldn't have to change out those back plugs... Little did they know that even a moderately well cared for LS1 will keep running far far beyond 100,000 miles. Even if you take it to a dealer for new plugs at 100,000 miles, chances are they'll try to be sneaky and not even change out the back plugs. That's why the first time I tried new plugs I went to a "friend of a friend" mechanic who doesn't know the meaning of the word "can't", and the second time I did it myself.

Of course, I put in the iridium plugs with the express intent to be able to leave them in for 100,000 miles

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

#8 from under the car, much easier. You will need a tube of Neosporin after an LS1 plug install.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I just installed AC Delco Iridiums in my 98 LS1 last week. Took about 3 1/2 hours, but it was worth it. So far they seem like excellent plugs. I ended up installing the #8 plug from the bottom, it was a real bitch to get to, just like everyone says.

The stock AC Delco plugs were totally shot with 80,000 miles (and 8 years) on them. There was hardly anything left of the tip, and they had double the gap they were supposed to have

Light Metallic Pewter
    2000 Corvette Coupe

I vote with the iridiums....that's how I went.

Thread Information