black
    2002 Trans Am Ws6

AC Delco Battery

Hey guys I went to the dealership about a week ago and was told that my battery was kinda weak. I got it 2009 from Sears - 120$ bucks with labor.
    My thing is the dealer wants a whopping 238$ to replace it. ha ha ha. I asked him why a battery would cost that much and the guy says " because it is a original equipment AC Delco battery". I wanted to laugh out loud. My question: Is an AC Delco battery really worth it? any ideas about how much one would cost so I can install it myself?

J.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

$ 238 is a very high amount for a battery. It is easy to install, requiring two tools. You can buy one from Advance Auto parts, Autozone, or any other retailer as well as Wal-Mart, Sam's Club etc.

That 2009 battery from Sear's should still be on some level of warranty? Pro-rated replacement perhaps.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

I agree with jfl330. I wouldn't pay $238 for a battery. Go back to sears and get your old battery pro-rated. Autozone will put the battery in for you if you buy from them. I think Advance will do the same.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

You're forgetting it's not just the battery that costs $238, it's the cost of the battery plus the labor of a tech to put it in, plus the manager to insure it's installed correctly, plus the union rep to see that the worker was treated right by the manager, etc.....

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

So if we could break this down. Battery $99 dollars. Employee $9/h x2 hours to change battery. Manager $35/h isn't around cause he doesn't care. Sh1t the rest goes to the Union rep. Hmmm....

Good quality batteries have definately gone up in price the last 3-4 years. The last AC Delco I bought 2 years ago was $140 for a 7 year 700 cca version. I used to buy them for about $80 just 6-7 years ago.

I prefer the AC Delco because for some reason, it's the only battery I've gotten more use out of than the rating it comes with. Last one went 11 years without issues, and the green eye disappeared at about 6 years (if you remember they used to have that), and I generally get 9 or 10 years out of them no problem.

The other cheaper batteries work well, but I've only gotten 4-5 years out of them. Odd because I know these batteries are made by only a couple of companies out there, but there is a difference in quality it appears.

I assume your $238 price was probably "installed". Sounds about right. Better off shopping around and buy something in your price range that suites your needs and install yourself.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

I ended up getting a deep cycle kirkland battery at costco to replace the delco one that was leaking from the terminals. The replacement battery has been doing just fine. But then again my camaro is not a daily driver.
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I'm trying to remember how much my Optima cost me. I think it was less than $238. I would just buy the battery and install it myself. Sears charges that amount for the battery, install and charging system test.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAM

I bought my wife's TA new in 2000 and its had 3 ac delco ( including the factory batt) within the 1st 3 yrs of ownership. They all started leaking . I bought a Interstate Megatron because the Pontiac dealer refused to warranty another and expected me to drop $250 on a another ac delco . That Interstate Mega-tron 75 is 10 yrs old and is testing a lil weak but good . I'm dropping another Megatron in on Friday. Cost is $90 . I hope this one lasts just as long.....

Thread Information