Thread: ABS INOP Light

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

ABS INOP Light

I put in a new fuel pump about 6 months ago because my old one crapped out on me. I did everything myself, taking off rear cross members, heat shield, dropping the muffler and dropping the fuel tank after cursing like a sailor for about an hour while wrestling the damn thing before I finally got it off. I put the new fuel pump in and put everything back on minus the muffler but ever since then my ABS INOP light has been on. I've checked all the connections and they are nice and snug. I am stumped as to why the light is on. I can't tell a difference in the performance of my brakes or anything.

Any thoughts/suggestions as to why it came on? Prior to me replacing the fuel pump the ABS INOP light was not on.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Come on people, someone has to have some sort of idea why this is happening.

2002 Camaro Z28

First thing you need to do is have it scanned to see what code it is throwing. With the light on, your brakes will work normally you just won't have the antilock function. It is possible you broke a wire while removing parts or maybe a sensor failed by coinsidence, but you need to know the trouble code first. Post it and I can help more.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Did you forget to plug anything back in? Or did you damage any wiring while fighting with it. My first thought was why were you fighting with it? It's a time consuming job but not hard @ all. That is unless your tank was full and you don't have the right tools.. Did mine in 3 hrs start to finish..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JunkyardZ View Post
    First thing you need to do is have it scanned to see what code it is throwing. With the light on, your brakes will work normally you just won't have the antilock function. It is possible you broke a wire while removing parts or maybe a sensor failed by coinsidence, but you need to know the trouble code first. Post it and I can help more.
    I've crawled under the rear of my car atleast 5 different times to check the connections and wires that I unplugged and they all seem to be fine and secure.
    I didn't even think about that happening.
    When you say trouble code do you mean hooking up a scanner to the port(or whatever you call it that is under the drivers side dash) to see if it throws any codes via an SES light? Would that make my SES light come on also(I say also because my ABS INOP light is on)? My SES light has been on for a year or so because I put pipe in place of my cats on my stock y and I don't have o2 sims. After I noticed it(the ABS INOP light on) my mechanic hooked his scanner up to it to see what codes it was showing but the only code it showed(and I already knew it would) was p0420(or whichever one it is for the lack of o2 sensors).

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Did you forget to plug anything back in? Or did you damage any wiring while fighting with it. My first thought was why were you fighting with it? It's a time consuming job but not hard @ all. That is unless your tank was full and you don't have the right tools.. Did mine in 3 hrs start to finish..
    As mentioned above, everything is plugged back in and secure with no visible damage.
    Let me re-phrase that, when I said fighting with it, I meant fighting and wrestling with the actual gas tank itself trying to wiggle it out from underneath the car.
    As luck would have it, I had just filled up my tank about 30 minutes prior to the fuel pump going out. I did drain all of the gas out before I did anything. I had all the right tools I needed as I did it myself at my mechanics shop with his tools to save me some money on labor. I did mine in two days as I had to go to my mechanics shop after I got off work and was only able to do about an hours worth of work the first day, then the next day after I got off work I went back and spend 2-3 hours on it. Granted this was the first time I had EVER done any kind of work on my car so I kind of had no idea what I was doing. My mechanic coached me through it and told me pretty much step by step what I needed to do. I'm glad I did it myself as it was a good learning experience and also so that I can say that I did it myself.

I appreciate the reply's and more suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
    Last edited by Badass WS6; 12-30-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

you will need to use an ABS scan tool. autozone is selling them right now for another week or so for $100 (regular price was $200). keep in mind it's not a renter item it's a straight out purchase...but it's a good buy.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    you will need to use an ABS scan tool. autozone is selling them right now for another week or so for $100 (regular price was $200). keep in mind it's not a renter item it's a straight out purchase...but it's a good buy.
    Thanks for the information. That sucks I can't just rent it anywhere!

Thread Information